ad: SDRKits-1

KX3 On The Way!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AC9SF, Sep 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AC9SF

AC9SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ordered with ATU, 2 mar, charger, RFs, paddle and should be her Monday. 8 AAs to start but plan to use Diehard 12 volt for mobile in order to get as close as possible to 15 watt output. QRP should be fun.
    Have Fred Cady’s KX3 book and it should be a must for any KX3 user.

Jim, AC9SF

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since that little radio is so portable, you might try operating at parks, beaches, etc. where you can rig an antenna which isn't HOA restricted. (I sneaked a peek at your QRZ page...)

I've had some good results with an end-fed on a 20 ft carbon-fiber mast, and I'm going to try the SOTAbeams Bandhopper dipole antennas next. The carbon-fiber mast is very light and doesn't take much time to put up.

If you haven't tried CW mode, you might consider adding that to your "toolbox". IMO, QRP and CW are made for each other.

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Ordered my very own KX3 this morning with the roofing filter, paddle and ATU, battery pack/charger and a mic.
    Not sure what I'll use that mic thing for tho, hi.

Learn Morse
    Do CW

AD5HR and W5BIB like this.
  4. KG7WGX

Use it as a paperweight to keep your logbook from blowing away while you figure out the KX3 menus. ;)

N8AFT, AD5HR and W5BIB like this.
  5. AC9SF

AC9SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good suggestions, thanks. Does the carbon fiber mast telescope? Where did you get it?

6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on the new radios, I am saving for a new KX2 and I will use the mic. Jackite has some good masts. I have had one on my roof over three years.

7. KG7WGX

Yes, the one I'm using telescopes to 36". I got it from -

http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-Pole/Pole-A1-86-3-10214.htm

As manufactured, this is a 34 ft fishing rod, but I discarded the top 14 ft as too thin for mast duty. The diameter I now have at the top is 5/8". So far, I have tried it with LNR EndFedZ's in 80m/40m/30m/20m sizes and a W1SFR end-fed. The 80m EndFedZ is 135 ft long, and this didn't break the mast when I staked it out, but the the mast did bend significantly.

There are probably dozens of ways to support a portable mast. I epoxied a PVC ring near the top of the largest section and use it to support a removable PVC "guy collar". I also made a small "anti kick-out" base out of a PVC pipe cap and bolt. (There can be considerable lateral force at the base of the mast when the weight of the antenna loads the top of the mast.) After guying the first section, I just reach in and grab the stainless eye I epoxied to the top section, attach the antenna and then pull the sections out vertically to erect the mast. Then stake out the antenna.

The SOTAbeams Bandhoppers can be put up by using the dipole elements as two of the required three guy lines, and a 35 ft cord as the "back guy". I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like I could dispense with using the guy collar.

The only disadvantage is that it won't work to support a vertical antenna element, such as the QRPGuys Tri-band uses. The carbon-fiber isn't RF transparent, so it de-tunes something laid next to it. With no side load, a fiberglass mast would work just fine for this application, even if the top diameter is 1/8". You can get telescopic fiberglass fishing rods for $20.

Portable masts are great for areas where there aren't any trees, but I wouldn't ignore tossing a line over a branch as another way to get a temporary antenna up.

8. KG7WGX

Full disclosure - I am not an Elecraft hater. I ordered a KX3 this week.

In re: KX3 menus, I am about to be hoist on my own petard.

I do plan to leave the mike in a drawer. In the field, I'll probably use a rock to keep the logbook from blowing away. :)

N8AFT likes this.
  9. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ 32' mast is around $80. Use mine while in the RV, to hoist an end fed wire.

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

The new KX3 rig arrived Friday UPS.
    I ordered it last Friday morning so consider UPS air if you want to get yours delivered quicker than 7 days.
    Rig has a fine rx and many ways to tailor the CW signal including an audio eq and stereo wide/narrow effect when using stereo fones.
    The roofing filter add-on is a must. Got this one assembled and tested. Don't think the extra 50 bucks was too much to have it all done right.

KD8ZM likes this.