ad: elecraft

KX3 kneeboard

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KG7WGX, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I set up a kneeboard for my Mountaintopper, I just ran thin elastic cord over the various components to mount them to the board. The MTR-4B's front panel easily handled the thin cord without blocking anything, as did the Elecraft T1. Even the Begali Traveler strapped down easily with elastic cord, since it is just an aluminum brick with flush adjusting screws.

However, when I tried to mount my Elecraft KX3 to a board, I ran into trouble. The front panel was so "busy" there didn't seem to be a way to just run cord over it without blocking something.

I decided to run elastic cord loops over the KX3's folding feet, as shown in the photos below. Two short loops will not work, as there isn't enough "stretch" available to insert the feet. However, running a single piece of elastic cord permits stretching the cord under the board to enlarge the loops while the KX3 feet are inserted, one at a time. When the small loops are snugged up, the KX3 is held down.

Antenna connects at the top and an external battery connects at the bottom, with no wiring on the notepad side. Also, the KXPD3 is in a usable position.

KX3 kneeboard 1 sm.jpg
    KX3 kneeboard 2 sm.jpg
    KX3 kneeboard 3 sm.jpg

KA0USE, KU4X, MM3ENM and 2 others like this.
  2. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice. I've used cutting boards for many mounting applications using command strip Velcro for attachment. I will have to try this with some elastic bands. Thanks for the great idea.

MM3ENM likes this.
  3. MM3ENM

MM3ENM Ham Member QRZ Page

This might make up for the third arm I often need, but don't have.