ad: SDRKits-1

KX3 for Field Day

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W1PDI, May 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a combination of the Chameleon CHA-Hybrid-Micro + CHA Mil Whip antenna with the CHA Mil Whip extension that gives you all bands. (6m-160m) I just hang a 25-30ish foot counterpoise off the CHA-Hybrid-micro. You can attach several to improve it. They also offer a cap-hat but I don't have it. I just connect it to an MFJ-1918 antenna stand with the Chameleon jaw mount.

The downside is it gets expensive with everything, but it's all bands and works well enough for me and is extremely portable.

This is my buddy Dan (N3DAW) using my KX3 with this antenna.

[​IMG]

KJ4VTH and KU3X like this.
  2. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

With all those trees in that picture, I would think a simple dipole, maybe a multiband link-switched dipole, hoisted up as high as you could get it might have worked better and given more of a bang.

3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe he is the night shift. I always run the night shift on field day.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

How many other FD stations would be within 400 miles of your set-up? many of them may be trying 80 M also, that many QSOs waiting on 80 M in daylight !!
    Daylight on 80 M has LESS QRM and LESS QRN also !!!

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't answer that question only because we knew not to work 80 meters in the day time since the number of Q's would be very low, if any !
    We mostly focused on 40 and 20 meters during the day. We took first place in the Atlantic division, in out category for two years. I am not trying to brag, I'm just pointing out what one can do with only 5 watts. We did not set out to win, we just wanted to operate and have fun.

As I said before, I think you will do a lot better if you operate 40 meters in the day time instead of 80 meters. You can take it to the bank that 40 meters will yield more Q's. If you can, stick with CW. We only operated CW.

Barry, KU3X/QRP

K5VZD likes this.