KX3 for Field Day

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W1PDI, May 16, 2019.

ad: Left-3
  1. W1PDI

W1PDI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm finally taking my KX3 out the shack and into the outdoors. I plan on using it for 80 CW for Field Day in June.

Looking for some outdoor antenna ideas. Not much space to hang a wire. Figure it's a good time to ask for suggestions before I head to Dayton in two days where I hope to purchase what I need.

Thanks

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

80 meters, portable, not-much-space, QRP. That's a tough nut to crack. If I was committed to doing portable QRP 80 at this point in the solar cycle I'd suspend a coax-fed dipole from the highest mast I could manage. Max Gain Systems sells a 65-ft model, IIRC.

Good luck and hoping to hear other ideas.

Al

KU3X likes this.
  3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used a W1SFR "KX3 Helper" end-fed last year for Field Day. Link -

https://kx3helper.com/endfed-40-6m-antenna/

It is only 35 ft long but the KX3 will tune it easily. I had it working on 80m, even though that isn't in the specifications. It is set up with a BNC connector, so that permits using a BNC-BNC feed line.

An appropriate method to use this is 1) throw a line over a tree branch 20 ft up, or 2) use a 20 ft mast.

The UnUn should not be on the ground, and you need at least 25 ft of coax to act as a counterpoise.

This is definitely a "compromise antenna", but it is small, light and easy to deploy.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty expensive investment ( is the kit still north of $ 400 ?) to take it out in the rain ! :eek:
    When I first skimmed the post I thought it was a "K3" !!! Never never take it outside !
    I use my MFJ Cubs out camping. If they get rained on or eaten by a moose, only 99 Bucks down the crapper ! :rolleyes:

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

KX3 is a great QRP radio for FD.
    My friend and I used a KX3 for FD the last two years and are planning on using it again this year.
    Hy Power Ant Co makes a shortened 80 meter dipole that is 68 feet long. Since you are only running 5 watts, I would focus on using a resonant antenna and the LD8073 is a resonant antenna.
    At FD last year my buddy worked France with 5 watts on 80 CW.
    With a good antenna and lots of coffee to keep you awake during the night hours, I am sure you will enjoy FD with your KX3.
    Good luck,
    Barry, KU3X/QRP

www.ku3x.net

K8AI likes this.
  6. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

..QRP portable is excellent under the canopy of the stars.

K8AI and KU3X like this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The whole point of a small, lightweight radio is to take it out in the field - the KX3 is built to do that!

I have operated FD using my K3 - it's a great radio for FD.
    IMG_9279.JPG

K8AI and KU3X like this.
  8. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you thinking of the KX1? That kit was around $400 but it was discontinued quite a while ago. The KX3, in all its Elecrafty glory, is well over a grand if adequately equipped. It is also an extremely excellent radio.

K5VZD likes this.
  9. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used the KX3 constantly while in the field, using the W1SFR end fed random wire - 100% CW, though not on 80m. 40m and up works very well, but I don't operate after dark so can't say how it would work on 80m. I am puzzled why anyone would want to work 80m during the daytime when there are other bands that actually work at that time. (Unless it's just for the challenge of doing it).

KU3X and K5VZD like this.
  10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to agree. I think 80 meters during the day is pretty much fruitless. You'll end up asking yourself, "Why did I do this?"......and get bored.
    I personally think if you operate on 40 meters, you'll have your hands full.
    But, good luck and hope you enjoy your portable field day.

Barry, KU3X/QRP

K5VZD and KD8ZM like this.