KX3 - FLDIGI/BPSK125- MacBookPro - unable to receive

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by W4SRE, Aug 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4SRE

W4SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave.. .just noticed that your callsign mirrors your initials.. way cool....

Yes, I have Built-In Input selected .. and yes, I see the bar-graph responding the audio out from the KX3.. I have been keeping it on low side.. midway and below... is that a mistake? I am able to delve deeper into the MBP - navigating to Applications / Utilities / Midi sound .. where I can open sub menu and further adjust the attenuation / boost of the input signal.

Yes, Built In Input is selected in FLdigi as well.

On the KX3 - I am using the Phones output with the level set at around 25 .. .on a scale of 0 to 60. As aforementioned I have tended to keep the audio down around the mid level and lower.. as you say .. I should look at boosting this up some either on the radio or some radio and some on the MBP so that the bar graphs comes up to around the 75% area.

Squelch level on FLdigi is very close to the bottom .. I will move it to the bottom.. until I start getting something decoded . .and will tweak from there..

Yeah... I think that you have homed in on the most likely cause... audio level too low! .... I have been over cautious in that regard... will boost and report back.

thank you, so much, Dave for walking down this path with me...

I appreciate you.

God bless,

- David KM4QVM, Macon Ga.

2. W4SRE

noticed last night - as I was prepping my KX3 for CW operation - MacBookPro connected via USB control cable ... NOISE floor dropped about 2 S units when I disconnected the USB control cable and dropped another S unit when I disconnected the power source to the MacBookPro - this could be a contributing factor to not copying BPSK125 .... worth investigating a little further.....

3. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I noticed the same thing when I was in ZL-land earlier this year with my K3. I found that I could mitigate the USB noise by using the other USB port on my MBP but found no easy solution for the band-dependent power supply noise. Later, I wrapped a few turns of the USB cable around a ferrite core which solved that particular noise issue.

4. W4SRE

Thank you, Everyone who took the time to respond and share their experience and advice... I will take what you have shared, implement what I can, and report back ...

5. W4SRE

SUCCESS !!!!! with no attenuation between the radio and the computer AND the AF gain increased from 14 to 25 ( mid way ) AND the MBP's power supply unplugged from the laptop = SUCCESSful copying and transmitting.... NOW having problems with the touchpad misbehaving - pointer uncontrollable .... I assume the trouble is coming via the USB cord - because when I run CW with the laptop siting right next to the rig and ant feedline .. I have no problems at all.. thanks again for all the guidance and help.. 73s and God bless...