Kwajalein Atoll

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KA3RIQ, Feb 17, 2017.

?

Any active hams in Kwajalein? Is ham shack still in opertaion

1. no

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA3RIQ

KA3RIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the ham shack still in biz? Nice FB page, but no activity for last year or so. I will be there in March and I am hoping to connect with hams there and work the shack. Any information or contacts are appreciated. Glen Saraduke, KA3RIQ, Lakewood, Colorado

2. ZL1ON

ZL1ON Subscriber QRZ Page

Your request likely would receive more visibility in the DX Forum ...

You should drop V73NS an email as he is quite active on HF.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It wasn't when I was there but that was 2002. It's REALLY hard to get on the island these days as well.

Dave
    W7UUU

4. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

So there's no activity on the atoll - at all?

5. ZL1ON

ZL1ON Subscriber QRZ Page

V73NS is very active on CW

6. KC4QNW

KC4QNW Ham Member QRZ Page

I got back from Kwaj in 2015.
    At that time the shack was full of equipment but nobody was operating, other than on 2m (local).
    There was a lot of work going on there with the construction of the Space Fence Project...so there wasn't a lot of free time for the operators.
    I was looking forward to a year of operating "exotic radio" but propagation and the deterioration of antenna systems due to the salt water (shack is about 100 mtrs from the ocean) taking it's toll on antenna's and cables....I don't think I made a single contact, other than with Chinese ham's (a LOT of activity on frequency) and one contact with a very nice operator in Guam.
    Very small club.....not much interest, unfortunately.
    V73NS was on Roi Numar (another island/facility) and was VERY active on CW when I was there.
    <KC4QNW>

7. KW4WZ

KW4WZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dunno if they're active now, but I worked both V73RT and V73AX in 2012-2014. They never responded to my QSL request, even though I made a handful of cards for them to use for the reply.