KSM/KPH Coastal Station

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by K4KYV, Apr 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

W4KYR likes this.
  2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Really enjoyed the pictures and videos.

This era of "real coast radio" and point-to-point traffic was somewhat before my time, but I have own memories of Marconi SWB-11 transmitters and racks upon racks of Collins 51J-4 and 51S-1 receivers.

It is nice to see some of the gear and stations that were around before maritime radio lost its soul.

vallda.jpg

ekg_1960.jpg

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

W4KYR likes this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Come visit the Left Coast and take a tour of KPH! Hams get a slightly better tour.

While you are here, visit the SS Red Oak Victory in Richmond. Visit on a Sunday for Pancake Breakfast, go up to the radio room and send a real radio telegram... Via KPH on 600 meter commercial frequencies!!

Manyother historic ships in the Bay.

Oh and don't miss the Nike Hercules anti-aircraft missile base in Marin Headlands.

Yeah, lots to do!

N2EY and W1TRY like this.
  4. SM0AOM

It would certainly be nice...
    See if there could be some opportunity to visit a conference in the San Francisco area in the future.

Operating on 5oo kHz again would be a real treat, I have not been "on the air" using this
    frequency since SDJ closed down its radiotelegraph operations in February 2002.

Visited the USCG operational centre in Point Reyes in 1996 when attending the
    RTCM annual convention, and must have passed close by the KPH receiving site.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

5. SM0AOM

A follow-up to the previous posts.

Found a two photos of the SAG transmitting station from years bygone, and one from last
    year, just before the final demolition.

ValldaRa.jpg
    The interior of the SAG transmitting site during the 1960s. Row of Marconi SWB-11 HF Morse transmitters at the left.

vallda_2.jpg
    This photo is from 1994, when the Stockholm Radio/SDJ operations took over the useof the Vallda transmitting site.
    The red Volvo is my then company car.

vallda_1.JPG
    Photo from Google Street View of the building shortly before it finally got leveled in late 2018.

"Sic Transit Gloria Mundi" :(

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

N2EY, W1TRY and K6CLS like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

K6CLS likes this.
  7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a 94 940 for the wife. No power, poor overall reliability, it was almost junked at 140K when the head gasket let loose but I installed a Ford 5.0 and sold it for a good price. That was replaced by an 06 S60 2.5T which had plenty of power but also turned into a money pit lemon around 120K. Thankfully a deer totaled it (no humans hurt) and insurance bought her a 14 Ford Fusion Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost which was way too complicated in the "cockpit" for her; Volvo was permanently banned. A 16 Ford Focus was used for awhile but wasnt good with 4 adults on road trips but it averaged 31 mpg over 31K miles with a non turbo 2.0. The current one is a 19 Fusion SE 1.5 Ecoboost turbo with under 1K so far....real peppy for such a small engine.

Carl