KPA1500

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W4HWD, Jun 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a satisfied KPA500 owner/user, I'd like to hear from KPA1500 owners about their experience with that amplifier, as I am considering upgrading. It's a matter of want, not need, my KPA500 is tops and I don't want to part with it but I would like to know how it's big brother plays. If you don't have one on your desk, or want to offer other options, please QSY. Thank you.

2. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know you said if you don't own one then qsy but I did want to respond. I used my buddies station in the virgin islands for about 10 days every night and he had one. All I can say is I wish I had the funds to get one myself. I thought the thing was great. auto band switching and had no problems or issues at all. I realize that using it only for about 10 days is not a lot of experience with the amp but even after just that amount of time I wished that I could have taken it home with me.

3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W4HWD

That counts! Thank you.

5. W4HWD

Already did. For $6000+ though I 'd like to hear more.

Was considering the SPE 1.3k also but after reading reviews on eHam about all the "funny smell" and "up in smoke" failures I'm gonna stick with Elecraft.

KN6KDT and N5AF like this.
  6. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the SPE 1.3 under consideration for possible purchase. I'm only an hour drive distant from the US dealer.

Even with that, as you noted, too many up in smoke reviews.

W4HWD likes this.
  7. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Again....I don't own one but after spending time in the USVI and using my buddies station with the kpa 1500 which I thought that amp was great, his other ham buddy told me that he had an SPE amp and had to send it back 3 times for repairs because of different issues....he doesn't own one anymore....lol

W4HWD likes this.
  8. W4HWD

That's the problem - you buy something and it spends more time on a UPS truck than it spends on your desk!