ad: elecraft

KOTA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC9AIE, Nov 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC9AIE

KC9AIE Guest

Hello, My name is Dan and i'm 13 years old. I'm a co-founder of an organization in Northern Illinois called K.O.T.A. or Kids On The Air. for over a year now, local kids in the area including myself have struggled to get more younger people in the area to get their tickets.

Having been licensed myself in September of 2001, I was immediately surprised at how little kids were involved in the Hobby. After much brainstorming, the local kids and myself decided to create K.O.T.A. We held several information sessions about the hobby at local libraries and at Borders book store. To this day we are still running, and have seen the licensing of 4 new kids as well as some adults.

I have recently upgraded to General class and news about K.O.T.A. is reaching across the country and there are possibilities of connecting with other Young-Ham chapters in other states.

Our local clubs have been very supportive, thankfully. For it is true, without new members into a hobby, there is no hobby to speak of.

Dan,KC9AIE  [​IMG]

2. KC2KFW

KC2KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an admirable idea! I, too, am going through the motions of trying to establish a center-point for meetings in my area. The fact that I work full time and over time (without the overtime pay) at the same time maintaining a family life, makes it extremely difficult for me to organize my time in a beneficial manner for children and adolescents in my area.

Keep up the work! One day, maybe sooner than I think, you will proudly look back on this and smile. For this is something that everyone will look back upon and say, "What a tremendous effort!" That - in and of itself - is worth all the effort. And if no one else this, allow me to be the first; Thank you!

I appreciate your taking time out to read this reply and hope to speak to you on the air soon!

Chris KC2KFW [​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Dan,

That club is similar to what we have in Maryland. We have a kids club that is called "Anne Arundel Radio Club Jr"  and it is a club for just kids to get their amateur radio licenses. We also make different types of projects such as antennas for field day.

Andrew
    Age 12
    K3ASK   [​IMG]
    K3ASK@arrl.net

4. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Dan,
    Congratulations on getting the club together! I myself just started a radio club in my high school {Springstead High KG4VJS} and I think this is a good idea {I had an idea to start a net on HF and call it the youth net or something like that} have you gotten anything on HF yet? {Net meeting...?} if so can you please let me know the day time and frequency? Thanks and good luck.
    Alexander KG4OGN 73!
    14 years old

5. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

It just warms the cockles of my crusty old heart to see posts like this - and to see young folks taking an active role. I was licensed at age 13 myself - 39 years ago -back in the ice age.

Back then there was a gentleman (?) in New Jersey who made it no secret he didn't want to talk to younger hams. His standard CQ included the phrase, "No kids, no lids, no space cadets - class A operators only." He was not alone, nor were we. Similar prejudices existed toward African-American hams.

But we had a secret weapon that prevented anyone from knowing that we were so young, unless we chose to reveal it. It prevented anyone from knowing our race, unless we chose to reveal it. For some, it also concealed whether we were male or female. this secret weapon permitted us to forge friendships that might have never been - and to change attitudes without an argument.

Some folks, unfortunately, still hold that sort of prejudice. If you run into it, please understand those folks are only a tiny segment of hams. It is tiresome and frustrating, but remember - it is not your problem - it is theirs.

Congratulations on your work - and very 73, Bob

6. W6DXN

W6DXN Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ae4fa @ Nov. 19 2002,17:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But we had a secret weapon that prevented anyone from knowing that we were so young, unless we chose to reveal it.  It prevented anyone from knowing our race, unless we chose to reveal it.  For some, it also concealed whether we were male or female.  this secret weapon permitted us to forge friendships that might have never been - and to change attitudes without an argument.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What weapon would this be??? It may be of value.

To all of the young HAMs out there... great job getting your ticket, and now just keep it coming and never abandon us!!! <g>
    I was licences in the ancient days back when I was 13. Now, I am 14. lol
    I am struggling to get people to get licenced, and i hope to get better turnout next year at the high school. By the way, Kudos to the ONLY ONE AT MY SCHOOL who took the initiative to study hard, and get licenced, with the exception of KG6KBF and I, who have been interested for a long time. He was the only one who decided this might be a cool thing to do and put in the small amount of effort. This person is one out of 1,600 people. Thank you to KG6LQA, David. I hope I can say the same about more people in the near future.

73 and good luck everybody,
    Greg
    W6DXN

7. KC9CNN

KC9CNN Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that there needs to be some sort of online interface on which Kota can meet, organize, and conduct business. Good job so far Dan. Ham radio is dominated by adults though. If kids could get together in a closely-knit, networked group, there may be a hope of recruiting more kids to the hobby. Now, establishing such a group could be quite difficult. Let it be known that such an organization is possible and show all the older hams how it is done. Everyone is cheering you on it seems. I am here to help too if you need me. 73.

Greg, 15
    Chicago

8. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W6DXN @ Nov. 19 2002,18:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ae4fa @ Nov. 19 2002,17:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But we had a secret weapon that prevented anyone from knowing that we were so young, unless we chose to reveal it.  It prevented anyone from knowing our race, unless we chose to reveal it.  For some, it also concealed whether we were male or female.  this secret weapon permitted us to forge friendships that might have never been - and to change attitudes without an argument.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What weapon would this be???  It may be of value.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    My guess is the secret weapon is CW - no color, no gender, no class (of culture)

Good deal on the kids and getting interest. I recall most of my help came from kids my own age (I was 16) and they were 15-18 and in the same schools. But some came from very interested adults who gave a lot of themselves and their time to steer us, help us.

Ed

9. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thumbs Up Dan!

I am a 14 yr old ham got my ticket over a year ago, nett month I am going to take my general written.. I hope nothing changes with that.. Mayve after I do my Code and get on HF all us Young hams can meet over the radio.. I think it would be great if K.O.T.A became a nationwide thing with kids from U.S and Canada. Of course that will take allot of time, but is possible with more and more young hams getting their general tickets...

73 to all
    Steve,KD5OWO

10. N3XG

N3XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

very good Dan!  The hobby needs to be continued and the only way people will know about this hobby is by information campaigns.  Maybe it will be easier to get more kids interested in the hobby since the new wide-spread use of FMRS radios.  Nice segway.  73 Rodney
    [​IMG]

11. kb9zcv

kb9zcv QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have listened to you for quite a while from the Rockford area. I believe I have spoke to you on one occassion. It had something to do with you hooking up a mobile antenna to your HT in your room. You have come a long way!!
    I think a lot of people out here are proud of you and your group!
    Keep up the good work.
    Now you need to build a web site. You can get one for free through angelfire or many other free servers. They will have advertisment banners running at the top of the page but the price is right.
    You can get it linked through QRZ on their club link for Illinois. I did the same thing for one in Beloit Wisconsin. You will get a lot more attention this way.
    Jeff, kb9zcv
    Beloit Amateur Radio Club

12. W6TH

W6TH Guest

Yes, encouraging the younger into ham radio is very good for the child. I know that when I was 15 and received my class "B" ticket it did interfere with my high school studies and let a lot of home-work slide by to get on the ham bands.  However, I believe the main good cause of ham radio is to keep the young children closer to home and off of the streets.

The easist way to get the interest in ham radio is to go the the center of attraction and that is the parents. Most parents think that ham radio is a waste of time and have heard several say just a silly kids fancy. Also remember the cost of ham radio towards a child is costly for the purchase of radio gear and there also seems to be a never ending spending spree. Well that is what ham radio is today, not as less expensive as in my day or days.

So? Well lets get to the heart of the situation and get the parents involved. Parents are leaders and the children are followers and of a matter of course, when there is a will there is a way.

All the best,  W6th

13. KC5CQW

KC5CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudos to you Dan! I was 13 when I got my ticket too. Because of my time as a HAM, I'm now working on an electronics career. Ham Radio also introduced me to my current job as an Emergency Medical Tech. There are many adventures waiting for you in life. Ham Radio is one of the best ways I know to help you along. KOTA is your mission, and it is a good one. Starting groups like this is how great people come to be. ROCK ON!!! Damon KC5CQW

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Great job Dan!!!! Keep up the good work. Without young Amateurs entering the service it will not withstand time. Please help to instill and teach the fundamentals of good operation so as to continue our great hobby with the respect and status it once commanded. Also you might want to reach out to some of the OM's of your ham community to help in demo's and elmering. You will be supprised at the response you will receive from the older hams. It usually puts a spark in them to be involved in guiding young hams in their quest. " AGAIN, GREAT JOB"
    Glenn KO4VP

15. KC5AV

KC5AV Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me add my congratulations on quite an accomplishment.  In a day and age where many young men and women are simply content to sit in front of a game console and kill aliens or drive race cars, you are doing something that has great value.  There are people you will meet through ham radio that will be great friends for years to come.  I wish that the resources you have had been available to me when I was your age.  I didn't know until years after I left home that there was a large ham community in my home town.  I had to leave for college, and find out how to become a ham on my own.  You have what seems to be a very solid core group in your area.  I applaud you all for taking the initiative to form such a group.  I hope that your numbers continue to grow.  Someone suggested that you put together a webpage for your group, and that is a wonderful idea.  There are a number of good options open.  Angelfire.com was mentioned.  You might also look at qsl.net.  You don't have to worry about banner ads there.  I am not a professional web designer by any stretch of the imagination, but I would certainly be willing to donate some time to help with it.  Dan, Aerial (wht a great name for a ham), and the rest of your group, best of luck to you.  I hope to work you on the bands someday soon.

John Wheeler
    kc5av

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.