Koss SB-45 Headset

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W7ARX, Dec 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No the OP asked nothing, he gave an opinion on the
    Koss headset. I gave an opinion on another Koss Headphone product.

W4SEX likes this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you're correct.
    He gave an assessment.
    And I wasn't trying to put you down.
    Just noting that his post was about a different type of item.
    Sorry if it appeared otherwise.

K9ASE likes this.
  3. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

I just made an adapter set for my old FT-101ZD and it works fine with a junky headset, so if Amazon can ship it to me in Japan, I'm going to order one too.

4. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

KS2G was correct in his first post.
    The SB45 uses an electret element meaning it needs a bias voltage to work.
    If you rig can't supply the necessary bias voltage at the mic connector it won't work.
    As far as I know older rigs like the Kenwood and Yaesu Hybrids have no mic bias available.

5. AI6KX

That is correct, which is why in my adapter I included a 6.3v battery, resistor, and capacitor. It seems to work with a cheap headset although maybe I need to shield it better. Anyway, the SB-45 is on the way from Amazon.

6. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the SB40's on my FT1000 Field. They're the dynamic mic equivalent. All I can say is wow!

7. AI6KX

I got my SB-45 and I am all ho-hum about it. I didn't like the close-fitting ear cuffs because they made my ears hot, and more importantly, I couldn't hear my voice when I'm speaking over the mic. I fixed that problem, but I get reports that my audio is rather high-pitched. I don't have a monitor in my old BA rig, but today I watched a good YouTube mic review (and there are a ton of stupid ones!) in which the SB-45 comes off as lacking in low frequency response. It's probably nice and punchy for DX that way, but has anyone else been advised or noticed the emphasis on highs?

Steve JS6TMW

8. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

The SB-45 is mainly set for ICOM radios (has electrelet element) and the SB-40 uses a dynamic mic in tbe boom which will likely work on most Yaesu and Kenwood radios (similar to the Yamaha 600 series). The ear cuffs/cups on my SB-45 are very comfortable as they go around the ear as opposed to my proset iC headset which tends to make my ears hurt after a while due to the tension on the ear (not going completely around the ear).

There are USB versions for gamers and then 3.5 mm stereo for the dynamic/electrelet configurations. You can pick up a 3.5 mm stereo to mono adapter easily and use on a heil asset.

9. K8INA

K8INA Ham Member QRZ Page

I see these are out of stock at KOSS... has anyone used the Koss SB-40? They look pretty good. I wonder if they will work with the ICOM 7300. I just can't bring myself to pay almost $200 for a headset, no matter how great they are..... Jeff K8INA

10. AG3Q

AG3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

The SB-40 uses a dynamic element. For many Icom radios, you need an electret element. Amazon has the SB-45 in stock: http://amzn.to/2cixQ0Z

I use the SB-45 with my Icom 7300, works great, and got great reviews at field day. You'll need the Heil adapter AD-1ic (labeled "no cap") along with a stereo to mono adapter that you can get at any audio store.