ad: Schulman-1

Koss SB-45 Headset

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W7ARX, Dec 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Someone put me onto the Koss SB-45 electrelet headset to use with my ICOMs and I have to tell you, the transmit monitor audio sounds great, the eat cuffs are very very comfortable and the price can't be beat (in the $30 range). All in all, you really can't beat it...I like mine and will likely get a back up one for future needs....

2. W4SEX

W4SEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a set last month as well, highly recommended.

3. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's got a USB connector, so can it be used directly into an older transceiver?

4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

It has 1/8" stereo connectors, not USB.
    See photo at: https://www.koss.com/headphones/headsets/sb45-824

But it cannot be used directly with older (I assume you mean '70s/'80s era hybrid) tranceivers because the SB-45 has an electret condenser mic element, and those rigs generally require a high impedance (Hi-Z) dynamic mic.

5. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for picking up this thread. What happened was the first one that came up when I searched Amazon was the USB version. Apparently the same happened to someone else's Santa for a Microsoft headset (see the Audio forum).

A 4-pin mic plug, footswitch, and a 2-pole 1/4" plug will be coming in the mail soon, for an adapter box for the headset that will include a small battery and coupling capacitor for the electret mic element.

Steve JS6TMW

6. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Right; you need to match the impedance and provide the voltage that the electret element requires.

I don't have an SB-45, but a couple of members of my contest club are using them (on current-model radios) with excellent results.

Good luck.

7. AG3Q

AG3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you tell me what adapter you use? I have a Koss SB-45 with the Heil AD-1-iCM and I get no microphone input. Headphones work great, but nothing into to the radio with a switch or on VOX. I also tried the AD-1-iM under a recommendation from the local HRO with the same result.

8. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I use a 3.5 Mono to 3.5 stereo adapter. Heil's adapters are mono, if you plug the Koss into it, won't work. Stereo to mono are not compatible. Else, go on Ebay and buy an W2ENY (believe that is the guy) adapter. Similar to Heils, only has a stereo socket instead of the mono.

AG3Q likes this.
  9. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Koss UR-29 headphones. They're also only about $30. I find that their sound just right for "pulling out the weak ones"
    Also,their over ear design blocks background noise and deep padding is very comfortable.

10. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, but those are earphones, only.
    The OP asked about a boom-mic headset.