Known (to me) AM Links

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be on the air, Not on Facebook. :eek:

3. KX5JT

KX5JT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One does well to have a balanced life!! Besides, one can also multi-task, or at least attempt to do it. AMers have an uncanny ability to do stuff while waiting 30 minutes for the rotation to come back around. :D

N8ZL, WB4WHJ, N6YW and 4 others like this.
  4. KA4KOE

Just finished my breakfast. Did 2 loads of laundry. Cleaned up a bit. Antenna still disconnected due to weather. Performed ablution.

Bill Yates and I run the two largest AM communities on Facebook. It's good to diversify and spread and increase general AM awareness.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    N6YW and W6ZKH like this.
  5. KA4KOE

Someone put the bug in Bill's ear about having a space here.......

N6YW likes this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

While it's great to have a variety of AM discussion forums on the internet, our primary focus should still be on-the-air. There are some well-known personalities who frequent these websites and e-mail reflectors daily, but who have never been heard on the radio. I call those folks cyber-hams. Maybe that partially explains why we have more US licensees than ever in the FCC data base, 700,000-plus, yet over the past several years on-air activity has markedly dwindled, both on the lower frequency bands and on the VHF repeaters.

One clear reason we need active AM websites is instant communication allowing news to rapidly spread whenever there is a real or perceived threat to amateur radio AM, such as petitions to the FCC, NPRMs that would adversely our use of the mode, and shenanigans by third parties like certain radio clubs, mainstream amateur radio publications, and this includes ARRL. Remember the old pre-internet days when the FCC would release a rulemaking docket with something like a 30-day comment period, and the deadline would be near or already past by the time the news appeared in QST, CQ , 73 and Ham radio, and the magazines arrived in the mail to subscribers? We can probably thank the fledgling AM community in the Northeast in the early 1970s that we even have AM mode privileges on the amateur bands to-day, for launching the letter-writing campaign that generated comments in overwhelming opposition to the infamous Docket 20777, a regulation-by-bandwidth proposal that would have precluded double sideband AM below 28 MHz by limiting the occupied bandwidth of any signal on the 160-15m bands to no more than 3.5 KHz. News of that NPRM didn't appear in the mainstream amateur publications until just a couple of weeks before the deadline for comments, but fortunately by then the opposition campaign was well under way.

Because of this ever-increasing publication delay, several snail-mail amateur radio newsletters popped up, including W5YI Report, HR Report and ARRL letter. Howard Jack, W2NRM (SK) started up a little monthly newsletter dedicated to AM, called Press Exchange. When Howie gave up the publication, retired and moved to Florida, Roger N4IBF (SK) and myself took up where Howie left off, and continued The AM Press/Exchange for almost a decade, until the internet became popular enough to take up the slack, and Electric Radio came on the scene as a reliable source of technical, construction and other types of articles of interest to the AM community. Those publications were invaluable during the pre-internet "Docket-a-Month" era of the 1970s and 1980s, when the FCC was releasing a continual stream of ill-conceived, poorly thought-out rulemaking proposals that too often included some obscure provision that would have "just happened" to adversely affect AM privileges. Now, Ham Radio, 73 and all the mail-delivery newsletters are discontinued. ARRL letter still appears on line, but AM issues are low on their priority list. Websites like this one can provide a better and more rapid means for the news to get around.

Nevertheless, internet forums are no substitute for over-the-air AM presence .

Don k4kyv

N8ZL, K4VA, KX5JT and 3 others like this.
  7. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I agree with your assertion Don, that on the air presence is the best method of contribution. I am on the air at least twice a day while maintaining a healthy family and business life.
    I listen a lot and much more than I transmit and find that most of the AM specific operators maintain a routine on air presence and much more so than being on the forums.
    Having spent decades on various forums related to my line of work (Music and Recording industry) I have come to realize that the most rewarding times are always spent on the air.
    The online radio related forums of which I have been member of many, have been a great source of history, intelligent fact based education and to some degree, trivial pettiness which is a byproduct of this digital world. Still, I would rather have my iron heated up, working on projects with the transmitter ready to emit RF than typing on this phone. It's a matter of choice and principle that I prefer.
    Thanks to Philip for posting the links. Job well done.
    73 de Billy N6YW

WA3VJB, W2VW and KX5JT like this.
  8. WD5JKO

WD5JKO Ham Member QRZ Page

KX5JT and N6YW like this.
  9. KA4KOE

Of course, as in all instances YMMV.

N6YW likes this.
  10. KA4KOE