ad: MLSons-1

KL7, VY1 and VE8 Special Event- a 1st from the north!

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KL7JR, Oct 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7JR

KL7JR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you know of an active VY0 please let me know. VY0HL is no longer there.
    I've beat myself up looking and can't find any.
    John KL7JR

WM9F likes this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The TQSL software that converts and digitally signs log files for uploading to LOTW has the features for handling multiple call signs and/or multiple locations for the same call sign (ie, portable / mobile) Each call sign is assigned its own unique digital certificate. Once the TQSL software is installed and one primary call sign is completed, the other call signs are added. After that the user just chooses which call sign from the dialog box list whenever a log is processed before uploading to the LOTW database.

LOTW should make a QSL managers job a lot easier; it eliminates a lot of demand for physical paper cards requested by contacted stations who don't want to collect them but only want the awards credit. Even if a DX'ped or Special Event wants to collect funding by coercing donations via an OQRS method, that's fine as long as it accommodates issuing a LOTW acknowledgment alternatively or as well, because getting a QSL card just complicates the award chasers life even more since it has to then be submitted by mail for credit!

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-QSL card. But especially now with LOTW, physically mailing a hard copy document should not be the necessary default protocol for a basic QSO confirmation, and only issued upon special request.

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Regularly active VY0's are certainly rare. There have been a lot of IOTA expeditions during the summer. You might try VY0/VE1RUS. Reportedly he is there now for a little longer, and seems to return on a regular schedule.

WM9F likes this.
  4. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Tell me an easy way to use LOTW for 6 different calls I use and am QSL mgr for?
    Sorry, can't cater to every one."

I am assuming that the guys you're managing keep an electronic log of their contacts. That being the case - it's a simple thing for THEM to upload their contacts to LotW. There has been a lot of work put into LotW to make it easier to use, faster, and more reliable. It's much better than paper QSLs when you're dealing with tens of thousands of QSOs.

Paper is great. I QSL on request and each time I work a new country or something rare. However, sending out thousands of cards to countries I've worked multiple times and filling shoeboxes to no end... well, it just doesn't make sense. The typical QSL costs about three bucks a pop to send and receive a card from outside the country. That's a lot of money for something that can be accomplished for free.

Almost every week I get a confirmation, some of them from logs that are years old, on LotW from someone who has just started using the service and uploaded their logs. It's a great service, and an inexpensive way to get awards, but it only works well if everyone participates,

KK4NA and W0PV like this.
  5. N1CC

N1CC Guest

John: I manage N1CC and NE5LL with two TQSL Certificates. It isn't hard, in fact since early 2014 it has been streamlined and easy to do. Check out some of the big guns with multiple call signs, like K8ND and his PJ call signs. All on LoTW. And if its about something like "CE0/KL7JR" that is just a different "Location" under your calls TQSL. In the long run, like W6SDM I have a lot of boxes of paper QSLs.... I have over 30,000 DX and 25,000 US paper cards, takes up a lot of space ... and I have over 49,000 QSLs in my LoTW ... I am very "radioactive" and have uploaded LoTW contacts from K6SXX, WA0ISO, DL4LA, W5QGZ, and W5LA -- all former calls ... if it was hard I would not bother.

KK4NA and W0PV like this.
  6. EI9JU

EI9JU Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to working these events, for me LOTW isn't necessary as I'll be content just with the satisfaction of knowing I made the trip, I think VY1 & VE8 will be new prefixes for me.

7. KL7JR

This email will attempt to address the concerns posted here and not aimed at any individual ham.

The 2016 NCDXA “RST” celebration is a special event, not a contest, not a DXCC or WAS operation (although we can help with that!). “Special Event” category was chosen solely to promote Amateur Radio from the north and to operate on the WARC bands. This gives us 3 additional HF bands and several more modes. Special events usually have their own uniquely printed QSL card depicting their outing and some offer certificates as NCDXA does (see QRZ bio for KL7RST, VY1RST or VE8RST for a peek of our QSL). This is a first of its kind joint venture of Alaska, Yukon and Northwest Territories! We are presently looking to get VY0 Nunavut Territory on board, but can’t find a single ham there that is HF active, hi hi! Seriously, do you know any?

NCDXA caters to hams and SWLs wanting confirmation for their awards. Do SWLs use LOTW? What about our “RST” operators who don’t use LOTW? Do we burden them with that? Just because you use LOTW doesn’t mean every ham should. After the completion of the 2016 event, NCDXA members will vote on using LOTW moving forward. We expect to work out all the 2016 bugs and make some changes and be better going forward as we intend to make this an annual event.

In conclusion, it’s sad but true that some hams expect a lot out of Amateur Radio but bring nothing to the picnic. Thanks for hearing me out.

73, Yukon John, KL7JR
    Founder NCDXA

8. KL7JR

Thanks. I think most hams feel the same way! 73, CU in the pileups.
    KL7JR

9. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a fun event. I'll be listening for you.

10. KL7JR

Thanks. I emailed VE1RUS and he mentioned VE3KTB is also in Nunavut Territory. They are considering operating in our RST event using VE8RST/VY0, VY1RST/VY0 or VY0/KL7RST. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Agn tnx tip.
    73, John KL7JR

11. KL7JR

We may have even found a pair of VY0s!!! Stay tuned.
    73- KL7JR

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

If simply "making the trip" is the objective, count me in too, and I wish this event lots of luck and good band conditions.

I don't need any of the states, provinces or prefixes, for any awards, but I am sure to work some QSO's any way. I generally don't collect special event certificates either. My concern is for guys like Jim N1CC and many others who have their sights on using this effort for achieving another very common goal ASAP like W.A.S, CQ WPX, DXCC, etc.

What should us who want something else "bring to the picnic"? I already mentioned a willingness to PAY for a LOTW, as well as for a QSL card or Spec Event Cert, if payment is required. Many DX'peds have Online QSL Request Service's (OQRS) which take direct electronic transfers from a CC or Pay-Pal. I think requesting a reasonable "postage" for a LOTW (or other) electronic acknowledgement for a costly rare QTH QSO is fair.

But I also think offering such electronic QSO acknowledgement, with out charge, since it costs nothing to send, is more in the friendly spirit of ham radio .

Here is the kicker question - are the operators in this or any other special event going to LOG ON PAPER?

In 2016 that would be incredible! Now, I am sure not every ham uses computer based logging programs, at least not all the time. (I don't when mobile) But, undoubtedly, for a likely to be very popular event like this they will use a computer based logging program when operating. Or if a log is kept on paper, it will be transcribed, merged, and the data will be primarily kept in electronic format for later certificate processing.

The point of course being - if the raw QSO data is in electronic format, WHY NOT ALSO USE LOTW (and eQSL for SWL's)?

It's kind of a forehead smackin' no-brainer; simply a point-and-click few minutes to convert and make the upload!

73 de FL Cracker John, WØPV

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats! You're very welcome! I hope the VY0's come through! That will really jazz up the event!