ad: elecraft

KiwiSDR TDoA Direction Finding now freely available

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jul 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

KiwiSDR TDoA Direction Finding now freely available

An online network of KiwiSDR radios enables you to pinpoint the location of stations using Time Difference of Arrival (TDoA) direction finding techniques

The RTL-SDR site has published an article about the online radios:

The KiwiSDR is a US$299 HF SDR that can monitor the entire 0 - 30 MHz band at once. It is designed to be web-based and shared, meaning that the KiwiSDR owner, or anyone that they've given access, can tune and listen to it via a web browser over the internet.

Many public KiwiSDRs can be found and browsed from the list at sdr.hu or by signal strength and location on this website
    http://sibamanna.duckdns.org/sdr_map.html

Read the article at
    https://www.rtl-sdr.com/kiwisdr-tdoa-direction-finding-now-freely-available-for-public-use/

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2018/july/kiwisdr-tdoa-direction-finding-now-freely-available.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

K9FV, K3LTC, K9EZ and 2 others like this.
  2. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the approach that the ARRL should’ve taken with OO respin to reduce intentional HF QRMing. But they wouldn’t even respond to emails to make this suggestion.

K0WJ, N7GPP, KK6QMS and 1 other person like this.
  3. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Flex Radio had the provision with it's 6700 to have a remote receiver. Now this idea has been improved with the KiwiSDR and the world wide distribution of receivers. Add to that TDOA and this is super. I have used this system for Texas state-wide networks on 40 and 75 and it really helps. Many thanks for those that put up a system.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

4. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Larry,

Gerald Youngblood and I worked out a distributed system using special Flex SDR receivers to monitor all US HF bands 24x7 to cloud severs with direction finding. Appropriately appointed OOs could review those files for QRMers and other violations with reasonable determination of lat-lon location. This initial evidence can then be used to "watch" for the offending ham, record forensic evidence of the violations, and turn over the FCC enforcement. I'm told by Senate staffers who communicate in oversight capacity with the FCC that this is the labor shortage versus other priorities that the FCC Enforcement Bureau staff faces. It would greatly help them and help us through the ARRL's supposed new OO team strategy. But the League's committee chair never responded to my emails....President Roderick was briefed on this at the MFJ 45th Anniversary when I met with him. He never followed up either.

KC0TA and K9FV like this.
  5. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading this is a coincidence , just the other night i was looking at one kiwi_sdr and web_sdr at a time around my area checking signal strengths to see if i could figure out where that noise is coming from .

That noise = Wide Band 80M buzz /Machine at night here (VK4) , the other night it went for hours around 3635 +/- , i assume it's some type of Over The Horizon Radar , it's been around for years , every one blames Russia out here (vk) or China , the quick look around i took inferred somewhere else .

The only trouble is some of those antennas are only whips and the likes and would be a bit deaf on 80M compared to some of the other antennas used on them .

So , i'll check this posting topic out to see what is available now looking for the place/area of Origin of the wide-band 80M Buzz Saw sound .

Attached is the 1st basic look about using kiwi-sdr and web-sdrs the other night .

Tnx Paul .

Attached Files:

K4FMH, KA0HCP, K9FV and 2 others like this.
  6. K1MGY

K1MGY Ham Member QRZ Page

Another example of just how useless the ARRL has become.

N7GPP, K4FMH and K9FV like this.
  7. VK4GAP

A update from above post >

What a tease it all is , i can just barely here the Buzz on 3640KHz , so took a look about , the result was that the sdr on the North Island of New Zealand (ZL) was the only other one that could just barely hear it too , nowhere to be heard in Russia/China/ Indonesia , mid Pacific or India or anywhere else including VK6 , only 2 spots and in the noise .

I'm aware that those Government Paid CB'rs can switch antenna directions as i have seen it happen and heard it in real time (believe it or not i can sit there listening to it for hours , i find it a soothing sound :) )

I recollect 1 time someone must have accidentally switched over to mic audio? as i heard a few sounds (i don't recall the words but a cough is in the memory with another sound) , also i have seen signals immediately drop from S9+ to S1 with what sounded like a relay change-over (Antenna Direction?) .

No where else but Here and ZL ? , is there a OTHR down there in Antarctic? , and low power tonight ? with a narrow beam .

Anyway , i tried to get the OP's DF to work but could not figure it out so far (back on to he OP's topic) , i'll wait for some S9 sigs to turn up , i even tried to DF my SSTV sigs on 80M , the map just wont turn up after the 30 second or so calculation .

tnx , Paul ..

8. VK4GAP

Last update otherwise i'd fill the whole forum up .

After watching MOTOGP came back to the radio and there it was again S9 , this time only all around here and ZL , weak in south china , non at Indonesia , weak in Japan and eastern Russia .

Then tried the DF again and actually half red the help file this time , saw that the receivers had to be close together (which is a bit limited in vk) , did the thing and it came back with a graphic which suggests the origin is from antarctic from over? Tasmania yellow lines or is it the red line there? , the lines marked on the attached pic are not very clear but there is a wide reception direction there from south i think it says .

Looked around via sdr's way up north to see if anything was heard up there but nothing (to see if it being propagated from over the other side over the top (unlikely though as it would be daylight) , so non the wiser at all not that anything could or would be done about it so really a moot point of interest .
    That is all , i'll be looking , Paul .
    1.jpg

9. AB8CL

AB8CL Ham Member QRZ Page

Just gave it a try. Located WWV on 10.000. out of ft collins.

KK6QMS likes this.
  10. VK4GAP

How do you read the result map ? Hi BTW , is the direction from yellow or red ?

Have a listen here if it's not busy or pick another over this way to hear the buzz/saw machine 3635KHz (look on the map page) , if you could be bothered .
    http://kiwisdr.northlandradio.nz:8073

Paul .

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  11. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

- China is well known to have an OTH radar that frequently intrudes on amateur bands. This has been going on for at least a decade. Check old reports from IARU Region 1 Monitor, and HF SWL websites and newsletters.

-Australia has an OTH radar as well, which has occasionally been a problem, but generally has not been a regular problem in recent years.

-Enough with the ARRL bashing. "YOU" aren't the first person to 'discover" TDOA technology. The concepts for amateur networks have been openly discussed for at least fifteen years. We have been waiting for the technology to improve and come down in cost. Be patient.

"YOU" aren't Einstein and Fermi bringing the concept of the nuclear bomb to Roosevelt!! ;) So don't get all huffy that the president of the ARRL hasn't beat a path to your email and featured you on the front of QST for informing him of the idea of an internet based DF network. They are well aware of this concept.

Many thanks to G4TUT for posting news of this great progress! In the next several years we will see it become difficult for the QRM trolls to hide their identity, as well as a wonderful tool for SWL'ers and propagation mavens become useful. b.

K2NCC likes this.
  12. AB8CL

Screenshot (3).png

VK4GAP likes this.
  13. AB8CL

That is annoying glad I don't have to listen to that.

14. VK4GAP

And for several hours at a time too :) , when it's not around (sometimes it's parked further up the band a bit) i feel that there is something missing and i feel lonely when it's not there LOL (seriously)

It looks like i have to sort out that map result somehow , tnx's for showing what it should look like , 73's .

ps> i'll try AM mode instead of SSB to see what happens .

15. KC0TA

KC0TA Ham Member QRZ Page

The League isn't interested because it isn't in their best interests. The FCC isn't interested at all since they have delegated "policing" of the bands to the Amateur community and the League. The "Big Picture".

K4FMH likes this.