Kiss packet radio serial software

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by LB4NH, Mar 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. LB4NH

LB4NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there, I am looking for software to use this mobilinkd tnc which is kiss only to send and receive packet radio frames, i have tried all the software that work on this win10 pc, bur all they can do is via soundcard ans agw.
    If anyone know of packet radio software that can use KISS on a serial connection that runs on win10, I would be wery happy.

73's de LB4NH

2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is some information for you. I used the KA9Q [PE1CHL] Tcp/ip software. NOS software runs in Kiss mode. My version only runs on MS DOS. I don't think this old stuff will run on Win-10. The easiest thing to do is find an old laptop that can run MSDOS.

I have an old Win95 box that I can run the software on. Everything still works but there is very little to no packet activity out there. On my PK88 when in kiss mode Defaulting /resetting the TNC brings it back to command mode. Also disconnecting the internal battery of the TNC will put it back in command mode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KA9Q
    http://www.ka9q.net/code/ka9qnos

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  3. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Serious advice?

Switch to Linux. It's built into the kernel, itself. Even a Raspberry Pi 3 ($35) will suffice, to provide you a nice little embedded solution.

4. LB4NH

Ok, answers so far :
    1. get a new pc ,, nah !
    2. use linux,, not again ,, nah!

seems i need to make it ,, now where did i put that chisel, need to chip something, is Qbasic still in use ?

5. KC2UGV

Well, the problem you're running into is antiquates systems, and their support.

I recommend Linux, with a Rasperry Pi. It's cheap, supported, and gets the job done. I mean, if you want to reinvent the wheel, by all means. I prefer well-supported solutions when possible. Think of the Pi as just another component of the TNC.

You **might** be able to get it running on Win 10 by installing the Ubuntu overlay, and seeing if you can get the axtools to build.

6. LB4NH

If I were to get a pi I could also discard the tnc and use the audio processing in the pi to all the work, couldn't I?

How long does a pi take to boot? I'm planning this something in a box that will run on batteries, and therefore only wake up, do its job, and go back to sleep again.... Wake up just evert 10 maybe 20 minutes....

7. KC2UGV

Hmm... Well, in my experience, about 30 seconds to login prompt. But, the units don't actually halt when told to poweroff, so I don't think it'll work in that case.

8. LB4NH

Well I have a controller that handles power, it can cut the power to the pi as it will do to the radio, but I just wandered.
    I have been checking up on ax.25 protocols and I think I know how to formulate a valid package, so I might end up going with something like I first planned. I needed the software to see how the packages looked so I could find out myself, now I know the bit shifting trick done to the addressing header so I think Im able to get this working.

9. KB7WHO

KB7WHO Ham Member QRZ Page

What did you ever end up with? I am trying to do the same thing.

10. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Direwolf has KISS mode. Not really sure what you are exactly trying to do, though...