ad: chuckmartin

Kids Day January 4, 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Kids Day January 4, 2020

Chair of the IARU Region 1 Youth Working Group, Lisa Leenders PA2LS, (pictured) reports Saturday, January 4 is Kids Day

[​IMG]

On the IARU-R1 site she writes:

Just in the beginning of 2020 it’s time for a new Kidsday. Kidsday is generally on the first Saturday in January and the third Saturday in June.
    This event is especially created to promote Amateur Radio to youth. This is a moment where you can share your amateur radio hobby with your family, grandkids, friends, scouts or even to the general public. This day can be the first time for youth to experience a real radio QSO, hopefully they get interested in becoming a licensed amateur radio operator.

You could make use of this suggested exchange: Name, age, location and favourite colour. Be sure to work the same station again if an operator has changed. To draw attention, call “CQ Kids Day.”

Suggested frequencies IARU R1:
    10 Meters: 28.350 to 28.400 MHz
    15 Meters: 21.360 to 21.400 MHz
    20 Meters: 14.270 to 14.300 MHz
    40 Meters: 7.080 to 7.120 MHz
    80 Meters: 3.650 to 3.750 MHz

Other suggested frequencies by ARRL:
    12 Meters: 24.960 to 24.980 MHz
    17 Meters: 18.140 to 18.145 MHz
    40 Meters: 7.270 to 7.290 MHz
    80 Meters: 3.740 to 3.940 MHz

Are you taking part in Kidsday? Share your experience with us by:
    email pr <at> ham-yota.com
    Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hamyota/
    Instagram @hamyota_offical.

Visit the ARRL website for more info
    http://www.arrl.org/kids-day

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/december/kids-day-january-4-2020.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

PLEASE do not call this young lay a 'kid'. Its just not right....

DJ8PA likes this.
  3. PB5X

PB5X QRZ Lifetime Member #150 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good initiative "Kids day", lets hope for multiple new operators and SWL listeners in the nearby future.

73 Roberto "Bob"PB5X

KD9FEK and KG5SFT like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's LADY...apologies on typo. :-(

5. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember BOYZ, WE WE'RE ALL KIDS "ONCE" starting in Ham Radio, well a lot of us were!!! My start was a (NOVICE-(1)YR NON-RENEWABLE), then upward & onward!!! :)

6. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Shame I’m only seeing this on the 6th

DJ8PA likes this.
  7. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite the typo.

Who called her a kid? The article lists her as Chair of the IARU Region 1 Youth Working Group. Am I missing something?

N8FM and 2E0TWD like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you are missing something.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is she is NOT a kid, but is a very meritricious leader, and the best to PA2LS.

VE6SH likes this.
  10. KI5FJE

KI5FJE Guest

My son (Adam / KI5FJE) who is 13, had a few QSOs...It was nice for him to speak with other children his age (Or even younger!). They have this event 2 twice a year...It might be advantageous to have this even more often (Like 4 X per year)...

Cheers

Tom / NN2X

2E0TWD and W1YW like this.
  11. N3FAA

And my point is...where did anyone say she was a kid? The article doesn't say anything like that. It says she is, "Chair of the IARU Region 1 Youth Working Group." To which you responded, "Please don't call her a kid." ABSOLUTELY NOBODY called her a kid!!! Crazy...

N8FM, KR6K and 2E0TWD like this.
  12. KR6K

KR6K Ham Member QRZ Page

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys, go shame your dog. I am not interested in your attempts to make me look publicly foolish or feel bad.

Sorry, it just doesn't work on me. I know you think it should, but its been a very long time since I felt bad about myself. Nice try though.

If you want to explore the entymology of the word 'kid', its sundry meanings in American dialect, and so on, that's fine.

The bottom line is that 'kid' has a less demeaning connotation outside of the US, and certainly fewer interpretations. PA2LS's MERITORIUS efforts are highly commendable.

Here, in the US, we tend to not refer to youth efforts as a 'kids day' for example. Young people find that off-putting.

Chip W1YW

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You meant 'meretricious', which is NOT what I said.

I never said MERETRICIOUS.

You are correct that the adjectival form of 'merIT' was incorrectly stated, and it has been corrected to MERITorious rather than the incorrect MERITricious.

Don't concoct a situation that doesn't exist, with the malicious intent of publicly abusing someone.

Have a pleasant day.

Chip W1YW

DJ8PA likes this.
  15. N3FAA

You did a fine job of that on your own. Nobody called her a kid, either in this thread or in the article, yet you felt the need to scold people for calling her a kid. Well again...nobody called her a kid. So who exactly are you scolding?