KI6NKZ - Thief and using QTH to Sell

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W0XX, Aug 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Must be getting around...

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would you trust the APRS position?

Sure, most APRS reports are accurate, but the accuracy is only as good as the information fed into the system. Any ham who has looked into how APRS works could easily spoof position reports from anywhere on the globe. Or they could spoof reports with a fake callsign, using real or fake locations.

I don't think that happens often, but when we're already talking about a scam...

I'll further point out that many scams turn out to be perpetrated by people who use a callsign that belongs to someone else. Often the actual holder of the call sign is an innocent victim whose reputation is tarnished through no fault of his own.

3. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

ISP came Kuna, ID. Associated individuals with this scum live in Boise and around. APRS showed him in Kuna late last month. Payment is to Kuna, ID. Ripped off, end result. Email address the same used some time ago buying and selling, same as QRZ, same as the recent QTH, posting, and IP is Kuna.

4. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris ... you are not law enforcement. Do not go chasing around a criminal and tell people about it publicly. I don't care how big you are or if you think you're a tough guy, but tracking a criminal and publicly stating you are doing such is just looking for a hurtin'. I'm from New York, we know what clandestine means.

You're best letting the pro's handle this, or you're just gonna get hurt, especially if you go driving by where this dirt may be. Consider this, criminals are paranoid for a reason, and they're criminals who don't care about consequence. They'll off you faster than you can spit.

W4KJG likes this.