ad: MLSons-1

KH6WI is the POTA Activator We All Hoped For: Add HI to Your POTA WAS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Jan 8, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_010_KD9TEZ_VideoCoverQRZ.jpg
    Eric Olson, KH6WI, is on active duty for the United States Navy in Hawaii. With 13 years of military comms experience, and the desire to add an engaging pastime to his schedule, becoming a licensed amateur radio operator was a natural. Given strict restrictions to operating from his naval base QTH, Eric immersed himself in Parks on the Air. This was fortuitous for the many POTA hunters who needed a park activation in Hawaii to fully complete their Worked All States award. Eric has been nominated as an outstanding operator and recognized as such by Parks on the Air. At the time of this interview, Eric was operating as KD9TEZ while he waited for his new KH6 callsign. Also, all the amazing photos in the video are his own.

HI8ESF, KB8QJF, G3SEA and 21 others like this.
  2. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep on doing what your doing!

WX1J, KR5OG and W1DED like this.
  3. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

:cool: Awsum

WX1J and W1DED like this.
  4. KF0GVX

KF0GVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

great job Eric. That vertical helped me and now it helped someone else.

Ryan KF0GVX (/KH6)

WX1J and W1DED like this.
  5. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife and I did Makapu'u Point Wayside State Trail (K-2216) in July of last year when we were there on vacation. We setup on a park bench. I was doing CW, and the XYL activating voice. I had one guy ask me if I was a secret agent for the Russians... ;-) He was joking, but it was still funny nonetheless. Another guy came by and asked about our equipment, as he was a ham, too. So yeah. Outreach is definitely important.

W1DED likes this.
  6. W4KSY

W4KSY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Eric for our Hawaii POTA contact. Not only are you an outstanding operator, you are an outstanding person as well!

WX1J, HI8ESF, W3AAX and 1 other person like this.
  7. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice interview Kevin, I enjoy learning more about POTA activators on your channel that I've been lucky enough to work.

Thanks to Eric for Hawaii! Oddly enough when I worked Eric in Hawaii, he still had the KD9TEZ call, our other contacts he had his KH6WI call were all with him activating in Wisconsin lol. He clearly has good ears too as I worked him on 10 meters QRP for the Hawaii contact.

W3AAX and W1DED like this.
  8. AG4EP

AG4EP Ham Member QRZ Page

Eric, you recently posted (relayed by a friend) a POTA where you worked another park in AK. Your antenna was a 3-element vertical array. What was the frequency and were the elements 1/4wave or 1/2wave?

W1DED likes this.
  9. KH6WI

KH6WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was using 1/4 wave elements for 15m. I had it pointed at 55 degrees (middle of the US Mainland), but still worked well enough to get the Park-to-Park with Alaska. Hawaii to Alaska is mostly over water so it's usually a pretty good signal.

Attached Files:

W3AAX, N4OKN and W1DED like this.
  10. KH6WI

KH6WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoyed activating "Maine State Wildlife Area" (K-4307) in Wisconsin with a Hawaii callsign. Some people thought I was in Maine, some thought I was in Hawaii, but I was really just freezing in Wisconsin during Christmas vacation.

W9EBE, K1CWB, WE1G and 1 other person like this.
  11. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Move up, not out. Go NAVY!!!"

Fellow 'gator squid, outstanding... ironically, I too was the Antenna PO!

... don't forget to update your profile on Navy Together We Served, IT2!

- RM2 (VPA)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    W1DED likes this.
  12. WM7C

WM7C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

15 and 17. Thanks!

W1DED likes this.
  13. KN6FWT

KN6FWT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Heard him on air over the weekend. Massive pile up, made for a lot of fun to listen too.

W1DED likes this.
  14. KO4MAO

KO4MAO Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't wait to make contact !

W1DED likes this.
  15. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I’m I missed out POTA , let alone trying to make a contact with eric KH6WI, i made few contacts to Hawaii in years past, oh well I’ll try again in the future, I sure like contesting. W6FRD

W1DED likes this.