KH1/KH7Z Baker Island

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB9LUR, Jun 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Log up-date has confirmed my fears.

2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been sweating it this week with weak signals but got them yesterday on 30M CW on the first call , checked today and in the log - what a pleasant ATNO surprise. I heard them well 2 nights ago on 160M but my antenna does not xmit there.

3. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was able to work them on 17m FT8 in short order. Since then, it seems like FT8 is full of people calling out the KH7Z and they location, but there are no db replies on either side. I'm outside of Los Angeles, so I assume giving most the QTH I am looking up calling them out, if I can't hear them, they can't either.

Is the right process to wait to "hear" KH7Z? or just keep hammering the TX?

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

:rolleyes:

5. KI6NAZ

That is what I figured, :D I am not btw hammering the Tx. Just waiting.

ND6M likes this.
  6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Unless you decode them, you will not work them. "Hammering the TX" in the absence of seeing their decoded signal is just causing unnecessary QRM. So no, WAIT till you decode them before you call.

..............Bob

KM4SII and K3XR like this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would you call a station on SSB/ CW/ RTTY under the same conditions?

IOW, you can't hear the DX, but you know that they are there because they showed up on a DX cluster?

Good on you for not calling blind like so many others are doing right now...

8. KI6NAZ

Thank you, so I guess my assumption is most likely correct, they're calling even though they can't hear.

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, 17 meters at about local sunset has been productive.

Go to their site and read the FT 8 instructions there, they are different than "normal" FT 8 operation.

Even the operating frequencies are different.

10. KI6NAZ

I worked them on 17m first day they were active. I've been hoping around their frequencies since then to add other bands. I just noticed a trend of ALOT of calls and very few reports, which made me think they were just calling into the blind.

NZ5F likes this.