KH1/KH7Z Baker Island

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB9LUR, Jun 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It was interesting on 20 CW last night, Listening on their TX frequency you have the usual, hams calling on their frequency, the up police have gone a bit crazy sending up 5 or 6 times followed by ass 2 or 3 times causing way more QRM then the person calling. Most of the guys calling on the TX frequency moved when someone sent up once.

On the other hand, considering the thousands calling when KH1 made a call the the band up frequency goes relatively quiet telling me there are a lot of good operators out there. Of course you have the guys that pick a spot and just keep calling then can't figure out why and get frustrated when they don't get them.

Took me 5 minutes to set all the filters so I could reliably here them, 3 minutes to find them and 2 calls to get them.

2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There having trouble with internet connection.

The bad news is our BGAN terminal system for log uploading refuses to link up with the bird. We have two BGAN terminals on island and neither are correctly connecting to the satellite. We will continue to work to sort this out, but right now we can’t upload logs.

Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. My 20 CW contact was solid and he sent it twice so I'm very confident but like everyone won't rest easy until I see it on OQRS.

If you do go for a dupe I have heard them and their not real happy about guys duping.

3. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

June 29 1100z Update

June 29 Update:

Good news. All but one station deployed. We are running up to 7 stations on all bands and making many QSOs after a weather related slow start. We hope to provide many ATNOs over the next week.

We are now well over 10,000 QSOs, with great rates on CW, slightly slower rates on SSB, and FT8 has been effective. Please make sure to read our primer at baker2018.net on working us on FT8.

The bad news is our BGAN terminal system for log uploading refuses to link up with the bird. We have two BGAN terminals on island and neither are correctly connecting to the satalite. We will continue to work to sort this out, but right now we can’t upload logs.

The weather continues to be extremely hot and humid. But that is what we expected. Temps have been exceeding 110 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, and only drop to around 100 at night. This coupled with only two, 4-6 hr windows to access the island from the boat each day makes things challenging.

Tomorrow we plan on constructing the 6 meter antenna.

That’s all for now. Many people to work.

Don, N1DG.

http://kh7z.net/2018/06/29/june-29-1100z-update/

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They must be using Navassa's thermometer :)

W0PV likes this.
  5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw where they said that it was 100 degrees by 10am. Yikes!:eek:

6. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

15 hrs yesterday, no joy. I'm dreading the day-trippers on the weekend.

7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_0515.PNG
    Same weather, different advertising. No different than in PR or here.

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I have spent a lot of time in the Western Pacific, the heat there is FAR more debilitating than any regular Wx in PR.
    Our work day in Eniwetok usually ended at 10 A.M.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not worth debating an academic point. I'm simply reposting the weather data for that area rather than describe the temp reading of a thermometer lying on concrete in direct sunlight

KP4SX likes this.
  10. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not real happy about duping an expedition either; I figure it's cheating someone else out of a contact. OTOH, it's an ATNO for me, and I doubt I'll live long enough to see Baker activated again.