ad: ProAudio-1

KH1/KH7Z Baker Island

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB9LUR, Jun 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

Been calling on 20m FT8 with no joy... they must be busy as sometimes they have five streams going at once!

2. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

They look like they have five going now. I can see them all clear as a bell.

3. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

20 meters ended up happening, albeit taking a while to get the response. Later in the evening I completed a 30m contact easily. I noted something that I think should be mentioned.

The operators must be very busy in Fox mode. I see a constant supply of replies from KH7Z with little CQs being called. So my guess is that most Hounds are just hoping on the train (hopefully when they see the replies) and completing their QSOs that way. Going forward, it make sense to verify that you are receiving the replies to other stations from KH7Z at least before beginning to call with you call and locator. This keeps QRM down as stations calling in blind (e.g. they aren't hearing KH7Z) will reduce wasted effort of the operators on Baker. Your big signal may get to them, but their signal might not make it back, wasting time for others with a clear shot.

4. N5INP

N5INP Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely right. I finally got them last night on 14.090, but I spent many hours yesterday monitoring and never saw a peep from their station until the evening. So many stations were calling, and their signal is so weak, I think many stations do not actually see the DX signals, but see local stations responding in the Fox area in the odd time slot (15 & 45 seconds), that they think it's time to transmit. No. You do not have to wait for the DX to call CQ (he doesn't do it all the time) but you DO need to wait to make sure you see the DX station Xmit in the even seconds (0 & 30 sec). If you don't see the DX signal, then Xmitting will do no good.

Above all be patient! It took me many hours of monitoring before I even could call them, because they are so weak into my station. Download the latest ver. of WSJT-X and use Fox & Hounds mode (not normal FT8 mode)

5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been watching the FT8 pileups mostly (I've only had one occasion I could decode them frequently enough to call) and I see many stations calling and calling and I see very few if any getting moved over to the fox area. I too wonder if they can decode the DX or if they are just calling in hopes they *will* be seen at some point? It's hard to say as we can't see what the calling stations are seeing. Judging by what folks have said that do get through on FT8.. when you can copy them / they copy you.. it doesn't take long at all.

I still have yet to make an FT8 QSO with them and I'd like to get one just to make an FT8 fox/hound QSO. I can really only hear them at my sunrise on the lower bands and they haven't done much FT8 on the lower bands (hopefully they will!).

BTW they just updated the log... my 40 cw QSO is good!! ATNO #317 Yay! :) :) :)

W1BR likes this.
  6. DL4CW

DL4CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats, Wolf! Despite their antenna restrictions, time of the year, state of the solar cycle (a lot of criticism ahead of the dxpedition) and so on and so on they have had a surprisingly good signal on 20m so far, it probably couldn't get any better under the given condx. I honestly think the team on Baker are making the most of it! After the latest log update I found my qso in, too. As always, optimism and persistency pay off!

KG5THG likes this.
  7. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The clouds parted and the S-meter moved last night. They are now in my bag for 20m cw, so the heat is off!

8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yep. I finally got them last night on 20m CW too... I've have no luck at all on FT8. I was finally able to hear them after tossing a 20m dipole in the tree and sloping it towards them but it was inconsistent. What I can't figure out is the number of stations blindly calling them... do these guys just call and call and call and call - whether they hear them or not - and just hope that they make it through for an unattended contact?

9. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last night 20 meters SSB was looking good, so I made the call and this time received his report! Checked the log and the contact was in their log. ATNO!!! I tried 17 meters SSB but his signal was in the mud and I could only hear a few words. Tried 20 meters CW but somebody was using their frequency and sending at about 30 WPM. Lots of OPs sending their callsign up. Tried 40 meters CW, not a sound. Tried 30 meters CW, Nada. Later today I am going to set up Version 1.9 of WJST and try for a FT8 contact. Has anyone spotted or contacted them on RTTY??

Roger N6RGR

10. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

They were on RTTY last night, but from what I heard, their rate was really struggling.