KF4BWG Horse Fence antenna.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WM5TS, Feb 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

A ham friend of mine bought one...never could get it to work

K0UO and NH7RO like this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why on earth were you so offended by that? It was a lighthearted parody of a routine on the Jack Benny Show. It said nothing about the quality of your product; in fact, it didn't mention your product at all.

In any event, the eds have deleted it, so the only place people can see it now is in your own post. You will either have to get the mods to delete that, or deal with the fact people can still see it. And I encourage those who have not read it to go back and see it quoted in post #23 so they can make up their own minds. This is especially true if they already know the Jack Benny "Race Track Tout" routine, with Sheldon Leonard as the Tout, that I was parodying.

All in all this was a very harmless post. I know running these boards is a big job and people do it out of the goodness of their own hearts, but I really feel like I am the aggrieved party here, having such a simple and unoffending post deleted on the grounds that "Discussion of for sale items is not allowed" when my post said absolutely nothing about any for sale item.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    WQ4G likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Screenshot_20190527-161148_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190527-161159_Chrome.jpg Someone commented that stainless steel was great, it's really not a good electrical conductor for antennas, in fact long parallel runs of stainless have been used as terminating resistors on large terminated antennas for years. See the chart above. On my big rhombic and vee beam I actually use a 12 to 1 inti a 50 ohm dummy load, but I have use long stainless steel terminating lines in the past because of the resistance.
    Since copper and aluminum is available I would use it..... I don't know if your building or selling these antennas,....... But just saying!!!!! Look at the chart above stainless, is way down.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    NH7RO likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="W5HLG, post: 5079325, member: 851667"

Since almost every major antenna manufacturer utilizes Stainless Steel in their antennas i am sure they will find your information invaluable as have I. Don't we all wish for the space to have a Rhombic antenna farm?[/QUOTE]

Ok then, but I'm just trying to help you, all that I'm saying if you're going to use horse wire, use copper or aluminum and do some homework also. Manufacturers use stainless for their hardware components to keep corrosion down around salt water but they don't use it for the elements or wire unless it's going to be used on a sailboat or something like that.
    Stainless steel is a really poor conductor compared to most metals more than 40 times worse than copper. The reason stainless steel is a bad conductor is precisely because the electron mobility is reduced. This is not a tautology at all, but rather something that is taught in solid state physics courses. The scattering of the electrons is caused by the alloying elements, decreasing the time between collisions

The reason is that conductivity in metalsis high is that metals form a crystal lattice where the outer shell electrons are shared and easily move through the lattice. When the lattice has imperfections the flow of electrons is retarded. Stainless steel is an alloy of iron with up to about 25% chromium (and sometimes a small amount of nickel or carbon) added for corrosion resistance. The chromium atoms disrupt the regular iron lattice and increase the chances of inelastic collisions with moving electrons. I've used stainless around salt water but knowing about the electrical properties.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nobody sells full-sized HF antennas made of stainless steel...SS is used in the hardware (machine screws, lockwashers, nuts) used to assemble them.

Mobile whips are SS, but they're very short and not terribly lossy because they're short. Conductivity is really important at lower frequencies where antennas become long and skin depths are deep. Even CCS (copperclad steel) is not the choice for 80m/160m antennas because the active layer is so deep it exceeds the thickness of the copper cladding and starts to use the steel core, which is lossy.

Everything works great when you have nothing to compare it to.:)

B&W sold and still sells a T2FD antenna in two versions: Copper wire, and stainless steel. Those are lossy antennas to begin with, since on many frequencies half the applied power is dissipated in the terminations, so losing another dB or two probably isn't noticed; but the SS version is definitely "more broadband" due to the conductor losses. And in the old days, they used to acknowledge that. Today, I don't know.

AG5DB, NH7RO and K0UO like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Your comment above is right on. B&W sold and still sells a T2FD antenna in two versions: Copper wire, and stainless steel.
    In fact that antenna uses a terminating resistor in the middle I believe about 800 ohms to make it look as if it's broadband.
    I hope he gets our point, when he had the choice of copper and he used stainless, I would question some of the thought process!!
    I guess most Mobile in tennis you stainless steel whips but we know how efficient they are!!!!!!!!
    It's a fun hobby.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    NH7RO likes this.
  7. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just noticed the date this thread was started; I believe, once again, that we're beating a dead horse [fence antenna] here.o_O

Do I hear any neighsayers on this?

WB5YUZ and K0UO like this.
  8. WB2JIX

WB2JIX Ham Member QRZ Page

WIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLBBBBBBBBUUUUUUURRRRRRRRR!