KF4BWG Horse Fence antenna.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WM5TS, Feb 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a horse?

2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That video ^^ clarifies everything.

The 80m SWR bandwidth is way too wide for the antenna to be efficient. It has series resistance due to the relatively poor conductivity of the "horse fence" wires, which of course is dissipative and will make the antenna more resistive and less reactive over a wider part of the band than could be achieved using excellent conductors like copper wires.

Simple!:)

I'm not sure the guy in the video actually understood that, but it's evident.

WB5YUZ, WA7ARK, AG5DB and 2 others like this.
  4. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another "neat" thing about using this stuff is that, as the little wires break, they may stay in contact and form little rectifiers that will give you the chance to hear your local BCB stations all over the dial.

WB5YUZ and NH7RO like this.
  5. W1PDG

W1PDG Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WB2WIK

K0UO and NH7RO like this.
  7. W9AMM

W9AMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or three headless HORSEMEN!

K0UO likes this.
  8. W5HLG

W5HLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I make them for sale on both 75/80 Meters and 40 Meters. Been shipping all over the nation and not one single complaint. I don't know where WB2WIK got his info or measurements, BUT they seriously disagree with my measurements. At 60 feet I read 7.3 ohms (that is not high resistance). For more info look in the "Made for Hams" section of this website.

73,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lea

9. K4SAV

K4SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to listen closely to the video. The SWR numbers he is quoting is AFTER going thru a tuner. The numbers are meaningless, other than the fact he seems to have a poor tuner if he can only get an SWR of 1.3 on the band edges.

Is that ac resistance or dc resistance. How did you measure it with the antenna at 60 ft?

Jerry, K4SAV

edit:

I see some more info on the other forum, as mentioned.

Resistance is not pure and simple. If you measured that with an analyzer, then you either have an antenna problem or a bad measurement.

Stainless steel has no effect on corona.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    K0UO likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

You're right, I didn't listen closely enough. I have a really good manual tuner (ATR-30) that can match a 36" long clip lead on 80m and the damned thing will make contacts -- I've demoed that. At 100W, it doesn't even arc the tuner.:)
    I agree. The "atmosphere" around the antenna (typically at the ends) does.

K0UO likes this.