Keying up the repeater and then never saying a word...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0TNL, Aug 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been in the hobby since November and this already drives me nuts.I'm sure it's been a problem since repeaters came to life. I hear somebody on my club's main repeater almost every morning, sometimes 10 to 15 times a morning keying up our repeater and then never saying a word.

I get that some people don't want to get stuck in a 45 minute rag chew, but unless the Op calling you back knows you that's probably not going to happen anyway. I'm lucky my club has a second repeater so I can just change freqs. How do you know if your rig actually works by keying up the repeater 10 times and never saying a word?

Keep 2 meters alive!

2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep working on your CW skills. If you would like great assistance check in to CW Operators Club CW Academy at:
    https://cwops.org/cw-academy/cw-academy-options/
    Get your General, get on HF CW and live happily ever after.
    PS, thanks for your service.

K8AI and KE0TNL like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's called "Kerchunking" and has been around as long as 2m repeaters have been around

Folks figure if they hear the repeater "kerchunk" they are getting into it.

First time I heard that term I was 14 years old in 1975 when I made my first 2m contacts as a new General Class op.

Dave
    W7UUU

N4GKS, W0IS, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  4. KE0TNL

I thought that was the term for it but I wasn't sure so instead of sounding dumber than I already do I just decided to omit it. :D

K8AI, N4BC, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kerchunking without IDing is illegal. But, trying to catch some who does it is not easy.

WQ4G, AC8UN and KE0TNL like this.
  6. KE0TNL

...and really annoying and the Op doesn't really know in the end if his rig works completely as it should. Although the person did find out 10 times that they have the correct Tone. :D:D

7. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's been a problem ever since the first repeater was put on the air. Our weekly Tuesday night net is plagued by these idiots every time the net is due to begin. About a half hour before net, it starts. Unfortunately for these nimrods, just kerchunkiing the repeater is easy: but that does not mean that your dish-water weak signal is going to be intelligible. These folks lack even the most basic understanding of how a repeater works!

Such is life!

KD7TWW, WQ4G, N8VIL and 2 others like this.
  8. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whut?? We still have repeaters?

K8AI, KD7TWW, K9ZMD and 2 others like this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Gary - in light of the recent club net night and your assistance to a few of those such folks, I did make a point at the General Meeting on Saturday to thank you for your efforts and ask that if anyone in Membership happens to run into such newbies to take on the role of "Elmer" and help them to understand about things like kerchunking, and not using under-rated radios/antennas to try to check in over and over and over but only be able to "key the repeater" but not good enough to pass any audio.

Thanks for making the effort with them on Tuesday :)

[And thanks too for taking on the "5th Tuesday" NCS role going forward!]

Dave
    W7UUU

KD7TWW likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's also not important, which is why nobody would bother.

I've owned several repeaters over the years (not anymore - yay!) and I used to "kerchunk" my own repeaters when I was far away from them just to see if I could hear them, or they could hear me. It's harmless. For me, it was often just a "range check" to see if the repeater still worked in some distant area where I thought it used to work.:p

Yes, you're supposed to identify. But who really cares? As long as you're not actually interfering with anyone, this is a ho-hum.

Selling my last repeater reminded me of selling my boat. You know what they say about selling a boat.:)

W4OKW, N1DQQ, KN6CLP and 11 others like this.