keyers

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N1OOQ, Feb 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the details on any keyer you consider. If your running an older TenTec it may require grid block keying. Some of the new fancy keyers do not support grid keying. Consult your TenTec manual as well.

2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OP is using an Omni D - no grid block there!

I don't think Ten-Tec ever built a tube-type rig, did they?

I'm torn here. If OP wants a truly first-class keyer, he should probably buy a pre-manufactured one. But if he's never built a kit, a keyer would probably be a nice place to start.

So, if OP has never built a kit or homebrewed before, one good path might be to build a little keyer kit, use it for a while, and then decide if a more complex keyer is what he wants, using the experience gained by operating the simpler one to guide him.

3. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the first kits I built was a Heathkit keyer. Wonder where it went when it grew legs and wondered off?

WB5YUZ likes this.
  4. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never heard of a Tentec tube rig. It made its name in solid state, cw, QSK, QRP stuff.

As far as a keyer goes, I can recommend the EZ Keyer III which 4 State QRP Group offers. It's a memory keyer, simple kit. I have the earlier version.

http://www.4sqrp.com/ek3.php

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at the "nano keyer" I have had one for a few years and love it. Works with any rig and I mean any old or new. It a has keyboard interface for sending, memory programing or commands, can be modded both hardware and programing and can also be used with a few of the logger programs as well. Cost me about 50$ and 7$ for a case with maybe 2 hours build time.

David
    N8DAH

7. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten Tec made a tube transmitter early on.... very, very rare and scarce.

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yep...HD-8999. One of them found it's way to my house last month. I use it in conjunction w/a straight key & a bug. (keeps 'em guessing) :confused:

I can't wait to be able to send "5NN TU" (from the buffer) in the next contest @ 40wpm :eek:;)

I got this one from KE9OL / Ted (check out his QRZ bio & be thankful for your good health). Ted, an electrical eng., built it in 1977 to learn code with. After learning the code & getting his license,... he decided that he was a "voice" only operator. He took the batteries out of it, bubble-wrapped it, & put it on the shelf until last month when he decided to give it a new home. ($185.00)

It's 41 years-old, working like a champ, & making noise on CW again !! - I love it & had been looking for one for a couple of years. I finally lucked-out.:D

77 (Long Live CW) es 72/73
    dit dit

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    M6GYU likes this.