keyers

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N1OOQ, Feb 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My Kenwood TS850S has a keyer built-in. However instead, I really like the K1EL WinKeyer USB (link). While the yuuuge number of features/settings can be changed from the paddle, the PC application makes it super easy. Steve K1EL is active in his Yahoo! group (http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/k1el_keyers/) to help users.

3. KE0GPO

KE0GPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the process of learning CW and want to buy a straight key. I have a Yeasu FT-857d. Any recommendations? Thank you!

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Almost anything will "work," but if you want something of high quality that's easy on the hand and arm, holds settings well, etc. then the choices become a bit more limited.

The Vibroplex VP-KS is good:
    [​IMG]

So is the Bencher 170-61:
    [​IMG]

So is the Begali Camelback:
    [​IMG]

Or the Begali Blade:
    [​IMG]

Lots of them out there.

5. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Standard recommendation: buy a new one. Then you won't have to wonder "is it ME or is it the KEY?" It'll be YOU. :D

As far as WHICH one, I suggest you buy one of good (but not fantastic) quality. What does that look like? Nye Viking 310-001 (oval base key, black finish) or 310-003 (same as -001, with shorting switch), plus the accessory "Navy Knob."

Seek them online direct or online via Morse Express.

Once you've got that one figured out you can branch out.

6. KE0GPO

Thank you. My radio manual says to use a three conductor stereo plug. Do key's come with a cord and plug, or does a person specify that when ordering? I appreciate the help. Thank you

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most do not come with a cord and plug.

8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You will find, as you continue with your amateur radio career, that manufacturers of all kinds of devices assume you know how to solder and read a schematic, or at least pictorial, diagram.

Eventually, if you stick with ham radio, you will.

9. KE0GPO

I've got some learning to do!! Thank you again for the help and info!! 73...

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tentec Omni D - no built in stuff!
    And no, I'm not famliar with paddles, but I was assuming that would be part of the keyer thing, unless a computer is going to do everything. And what fun would that be?
    Thanks for the replies so far... keep going, this is very interesting!