keyers

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N1OOQ, Feb 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is apparent that I will need a keyer if I'm gonna keep trying to bust pileups. Painful with a straight key. Doable, but painful.
    So what do some of you like and use?

2. W1BV

W1BV Ham Member QRZ Page

AG6QR likes this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Vibroplex J36

but if you're talking electronic, I like my AEA MM3

K4LMP and W1BV like this.
  4. N4IAG

N4IAG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's hard to beat the K1EL Winkeyer.

N0NC, AA4OO, N3PDT and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would just recommend if your looking to break pile ups make sure you get a memory keyer, it makes life so much easier.
    My main rigs have built in keyers but I use a cheap memory keyer kit I found on the web for around 15 bucks for my DX60 and even it works great.

6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

4 State QRP Group has a kit, EZKeyer III, that is very easy to build, very useful for many of us who want memory keyers but don't require full blown contest level devices. http://www.4sqrp.com/ek3.php

I built the prior version, the II. It played the first time and has served me very well indeed. It's $45 well spent.

7. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just looked and the one I have is a AA0ZZ EZ Keyer. I think I paid $17 for it but you need your own very small cabinet to put it in. I think it's the same one W6OGC has. I did not mark the version but believe it's the II. The $17 was the kit less cabinet and was several years ago so could very well be $45 now.

8. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My keyer is built into my radio, a Kenwood TS-590. One memory button can hold my call sign and another the obligatory "5NN TU." OP didn't mention if he knows how to use paddles.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

On its own, it's an EXCELLENT memory keyer. It interfaces with your computer via a USB connection. While that allows you to easily set it up (parameters and memories), it also allows it to communicate with your favorite logger program.

Prior to Winkeyer, PC-generated loggers and external keyers could be running at wildly differing speeds. Winkeyer talks to your logging program. When you change the speed on one, the other follows. Another yuuuge advantage is that, no longer will your PC corrupt the Morse. When you send from the PC, it just "dumps" ASCII to Winkeyer, which then generates the Morse.

Winkeyer also can drive TWO rigs (for Single Op 2 Radio contesting). Additionally, it has PTT output. You no longer need to use semi break-in (VOX) or manual control of your rig's T/R. Outputs are optically isolated.

Winkeyer requires very little current, and runs from three AAA batteries. It also doesn't need an ON/OFF switch. When connected to your PC, it derives power from the USB port.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

N0NC likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have a relatively modern HF rig, they all have built-in keyers, so all you'd need is a paddle key.

What kind of radio do you have?

WB5YUZ likes this.