Keychain QRP, the worlds smallest HF Ham Radio Transmitter!

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by KH2SR, Jan 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KH2SR

KH2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out these awesome little micro HF CW transmitters. They are handmade in USA and are available for sale on Etsy. It comes in several different HF bands and is small enough to keep on your keyring.

Read more about it at this link: KeychainQRP

AJH_4813.jpg

KW4EK likes this.
  2. KH2SR

Most hams have a spare compact shortwave receiver laying around which pairs nicely with the Keychain QRP Transmitters.

Also, many VHF/UHF handheld ham radios have a built in wide band receive mode which typically covers most or all of the HF ham bands. Yet another great receiver option that most hams already have.

Good thing this is a ham radio forum and not a forum for silly car analogies.

VE3DOY, K4KKQ, WB9TWQ and 1 other person like this.
  3. KH2SR

Keychain QRP is now available for the 20m band!

K4KKQ likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

14.318 is going to be one hard challenge to get any takers on a CW CQ, being right smack in the SSB section of the band! Never mind picking up any CW contest QSOs.... No CW contester is going to play at 14.318

I know why you are using 14.318 - I get that. I too have a zillion 14.318 rocks, and even tried to start up a QRP CW net of sorts on that frequency. I have a QSL card from one contact I made on 14.318 running about 20mW (thought it was 200 at the time, only to realize my math was way off!)

Any chance you can go with something a bit more conventional like 14.060?

Good luck in your overall venture though.

Dave
    W7UUU

K4KKQ, AA9SD and KH2SR like this.
  5. KH2SR

I am hoping to add another 20m band option shortly. This time it will fall in the CW portion of the band.

K4KKQ likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool. It's too bad the computer industry picked 14.318 for a billion circuit board clocks - surely they could have done 14.055 or some such :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2ADV and KH2SR like this.
  7. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

The web page says, If you want to get serious with your KeychainQRP, just add a simple low pass filter or band pass filter, then hook it up to any properly tuned full size dipole, end-fed, NVIS, or beam antenna.

From the suggestion to add a LPF, along with the small size and limited frequency selection, I might guess that it's basically a crystal oscillator that generates something approaching a square wave. That's illegal to use under part 97.307(d), which requires that the mean power of any harmonics be suppressed to at least 43 dB below the power of the fundamental. Granted at such low power levels, it's not likely to cause a serious interference problem in practice, but the legal requirement is there nevertheless.

N8BDB, AD5KO, K4KKQ and 1 other person like this.
  8. KH2SR

10% off any KeychainQRP purchase though the end of February!

QUIRKY17FEB

73!

QuirkyQRP Ham Radio

9. KH2SK

KH2SK Ham Member QRZ Page

15m band is now available for Keychain QRP! It's a great option for Technician Class ham operators who want to get into Morse code.

http://bit.ly/15mBandKeychainQRP

10. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. Would be nice if there was a schematic that we could look at.