ad: Winterfest-1

keyboard/reader CW testing today 1500 & 2100 UCT 7.063

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RAC, Oct 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen so many people interested in Morse Code asking about using a reader and keyboard. It's great to have the people interested but I hate to see them become discouraged before they get a start. I did this test a few days ago with poor results but got some feedback from people who were unable to participate but would like to try. The reader can not distinguish between several signals at once so please be certain to try and NOT to double.

"So today I am going to put the CW keyboard on the air....case in point test..... I will only copy with a reader. I will turn down the volume on the rig so I can only copy what comes across the screen, if anything on the FTDX 101d. I will be on 7.063 (alternate 7.065) running 400 watts on a 85' flat top dipole at 1500 UCT and again at 2100 UCT. I will set the keyboard and reader 13 wpm which is a bit slower than last time to give others a chance to try or listen in, my typing is rusty please overlook errors. This will give those who have in interest in code a chance to see a keyboard/reader at play OR not.

Unless the reader copies the code I can not answer I will have the volume to ZERO to mimic a OP who does not know Morse Code. Lets see how I do. I will post results for those who have a interest with a reader/keyboard combo. 73 Rich....... listening, sorta"

KQ4MM likes this.
  2. KF9BD

KF9BD Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting experiment. I look forward to your results. Perhaps I missed it, but, I didn't see what reader you are using.

Danny - KF9BD

3. W9RAC

Thanks Danny, readers in both TS 99s and FTDX 101d, today using the 101d. 73 Rich

4. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for QSO Rich.

5. W9RAC

Ok Scott, likewise sir. Your keyboard was the only call I did copy. I did hear several stations in but only your keyboard was copied. I did not have a copy on any keyers or they would have likely been copied also. At the end I did have some QSB and the reader started to fail, I had to step in a couple times and help it but had I not been able to copy code at all I would have been able to figure out the entire conversation. I did miss how many watts you were running? Its copied 3H so not sure if it was 3 or 35, or neither, hi hi. 73 Rich

6. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Was using 35 watts at the end. Started with 25, but saw the band changing a bit during the QSO. You were S9+10. The HW-16 next to the Kenwood and keyboard was giving me dirty looks :D

W7UUU likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I really like the pictures on your QRZ page :) Cool stuff... how is it you are able to operate from Air Force One? (If I may be so bold as to ask)

Dave
    W7UUU

W9RAC likes this.
  8. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL should have Morse code proficiency runs for code readers.:confused:

NL7W and W9RAC like this.
  9. W9RAC

The second test proved to be what the general consensus has mostly been before the test. A reader and keyboard is less than adequate for a person who can not decode mentally. Even a QSO with a keyboard, perfect code the conditions can make a QSO dicy. I will stick with my first analogy of them which is they are great to play around with ONLY after you have become proficient with code. Have fun, 73 Rich

NL7W and W7UUU like this.
  10. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was pretty good! :D

K7MH likes this.