"Key Up" Check-Ins On Digital (DMR, D-STAR,P25, NXDN, etc) Nets

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by KB0OXD, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Net Control Station, (NCS or NECOS) is in charge. He is the one who should state clearly how and when participants should check in. It is up to him to set the rules and run the net as he sees fit.

2. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just getting set up, so I hope I don't ruffle any feathers out there. Not even sure If can hit the repeater yet.

3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's perfectly legal, because all digital radios (that I know of) include your callsign in every data packet. You can send a bare-minimum legal transmission (your callsign) just by pressing the PTT switch.

Also, the official FCC emission designation for D-Star is 6K00F7W. The W means that a combination of allowed emissions is sent. In D-star, there is voice (E), data (D), or a combination of both. It is perfectly legal to send only D or only E via a W emission designator, so the check-in need not be strictly voice (E).

I'm sure it is the same for the other digital formats.

ZL2TOY and AG5DB like this.
  4. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to clear and limit confusion:

DMR does NOT send a callsign, and therefore does not meet FCC requirements. This is probably most violated in DMR messaging; you must include your callsign in the text message for it to be legal. Your DMR ID is not enough.

W4ZGC, WA0CBW, AI7PM and 2 others like this.
  5. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know much about DMR because it's not really a "ham radio" mode (i.e. it wasn't created for ham radio, but rather for commercial radio systems). D-Star and Fusion both do transmit a callsign.

6. W4EAE

While I do use it regularly, DMR is perplexing to me. I definitely see why repeater owners like it, but to the end-user, DMR is complicated and very limiting. On top of that, my first thought when I learned about DMR and its two time slots was, 'That would make full-duplex comms possible.' I guess I am the only one.

DMR was the first digital voice mode I used, then came C4FM, and not D-Star. For a number of reasons, I prefer D-Star of the lot.

K8KPO and W4NNF like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When you key up with D-Star your rig transmits your call. ;)

If that were illegal, all the stations transmitting their IDs digitally on FT8 and such would be in trouble.

Frankly, however, I don't really like it...'s too easy not to hold the transmit button down long enough, get missed, etc.

8. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see why it would be that hard to announce your callsign now and again as per analog. Got nothing better to do.

KK9W likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's up to the NCS to decide. Some large D-Star nets like the state nets, etc. will only accept "key-click" checkins, and you'll be told to do that if you try to check-in by voice. I suppose it does allow things to go quicker with the large nets.

10. W4EAE

On D-Star, it really does offer an advantage for nets large and small. The callsign transmission takes a fraction of a second, so perfect doubles are rare with the quick-key technique. You could have 12 stations successfully check-in in 6 seconds, and they all show in the QSO log on NC's radio. I know from experience as a NC on analogue nets, just checking in 30 stations by voice can take a while. Quick-key lets you get to meat of the net more quickly, ostensibly making the whole net better fit for purpose.

Of course it requires that everyone have the equipment, but I see how this could be of particular advantage for ARES or RACES. During an actual incident, no need to waste time.

NK8I likes this.