Kenwood

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI4KWR, Jan 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. KI4KWR

KI4KWR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seeing if anyone can confirm that Kenwood is slowly leaving the amateur radio community? They have had a TS-2000 of mine for 3 months now and latest from Repair was they are leaving Amatuer Radio.

2. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you receive this news in a form that can be relayed over the 'net?

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you at least identify the facility from which you got this news?

4. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And 3 mos in for service? I'd like to know who that is, too.

5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Bummer if they do, Kenwood makes a great radio. But it does seem Icom seems to pushing the envelope in developing new radios. And with radios like the 7300 and 7610, I'm fairly sure the cost to build that style of radio is less than a standard superheterodyne.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew they'd never last.

KJ4VTH and K9ASE like this.
  7. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

As others have posted, who is "they" that has your radio and says "they are leaving amateur radio"?

Kenwood, USA ---the distributor for Kenwood amateur radio products-- does not do any warranty or other repairs themselves.

They have contracted with two independent facilities -- one in California, the other in Virginia -- to be their national service centers.
    See: http://www.kenwood.com/usa/Support/National_Service_Centers/

Both of those shops are well known for rapid turn-around.

It's possible that one of those shops has decided to end its role as an authorized Kenwood service center.
    But I doubt it.

And with continuing strong sales of radios like the TS-590SG and the recent introduction of the TH-D74A ARPS/D-Star hand-held, there's no indication that Kenwood is planning to leave the Amateur Radio market.

KB4QAA and KK5JY like this.
  8. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I would be very shocked if Kenwood leaves the AR market in the near future...HF, maybe but not VHF/UHF. They produce many products for the land mobile market that their VHF and UHF AR products are simply spin offs from. Their R & D costs for amateur vhf/uhf cannot be much and since much of their production is done cheaply in China there is enough profit in sales to keep them interested.

N3AB likes this.
  9. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not buying it. Source?

10. N5BCN

N5BCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if some JAs have more direct intel on the situation?