ad: ProAudio-1

Kenwood V71A DSTAR crossband repeat issue

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by VA6ADB, Mar 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VA6ADB

VA6ADB Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently bought a V71A with the intentions of setting it up as a crossband repeater. I have been told that V71A and D710A are basically the same radios with different head units so I saved some money and went with V71A as I didnt need the APRS or TNC functionality of D710. I have seen people having success with having set up their D710 as a cross band repeater for DSTAR. But unfortunately I have only had partial luck so far. My 2 DSTAR radios are Kenwood D74 and Icom 7100. My V71A will pass DSTAR transmissions going from VHF to UHF but not the other way around. From UHF to VHF its just static. So far I have tried changing the modulation to Narrow FM but still no luck. Any input is much appreciated.

2. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess it is like trying to use a FM repeater to try and pass D-Star. The audio chain limits the audio frequencys that are allowed to pass.
    But that is just a guess.

Maybe there is some way to tell the radio it is passing data? I use a analog radio for a D-Star high power hotspot but you have to use the data port or it mangles digital.

VA6ADB likes this.
  3. VA6ADB

VA6ADB Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you give me more info about your setup. Maybe Ill go that route

4. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page