Kenwood ts850s display dead

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VE4AAE, Jun 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
  1. VE4AAE

VE4AAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone can help , highly appreciated,,,, my ts850s on and off display and now totally dead, I search some reviews and most common issues is the cap 16v 470mf and the 16v 100mf of the display board they are look very clean but still replace all of them and test still no luck dead display, it came to my mine to check the lamp or bulb itself , put my meter on both end of the lamp ang ohms it I got nothing 0ohms , I’m assuming is burnt bulb is anyone have this kind of problem?, were can we get a bulb what volt and watts are they can we use led to replace … any help appreciated you can email ve4aae@gmail.com

2. VE7DQ

VE7DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You are unlikely to get any resistance reading from a vacuum fluorescent tube. It could be either the tube or the driver circuit that has failed. A glance at the service manual would be useful.

VE3TMT replaced his tube with LEDs; here's a link to one of the pertinent threads:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ts-850s-dimmer-circuit-info.642632/

Based on his information I purchased a row of LEDs to have on hand if the tube or circuitry fails on any of my three TS-850s. So far, I haven't had to replace a tube, although I notice one of them is getting dim on one end.

3. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

1. You can't just replace the 470uf cap. The voltage is on one side of the board and gets to the other thru a via. Most of the time the via is gone. You could also have a hairline crack in the trace.

5. VE4AAE

Thank you guys , specially to ve3tmt is very helpful guy he teach me how to do it , here some of the pictures I made on how I fix mine , I’m lucky we have electronics store here they carry led 12v strip $7also they have this dimmer board for the led $8.89 to dim the brightness it comes with potentiometer and replace all caps $10 , and with the help of max ve3tmt problem solve display is back thank you

Attached Files:

6. VE4AAE