Kenwood TS2000 lost its ears

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9OO, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC9OO

KC9OO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Kenwood TS2000 that has lost receiver sensitivity. I was hooking up my Icom 706MKIIg for field day next to it and, switch the antenna between them, it became very clear that the Kenwood's receiver was way down. I did a hard reset, checked everything and the radio still lacked much of a receive. Outside of this, the radio works fine.

Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong? And suggest a place to get it fixed?

Thanks,

Jon
    KC9OO

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Try K0GX ( Gary ) and tell him that I said hello again. I have no financial stake in his operation- yet he told me that he has done the repair you seek, and I have seen that at one time he owned a TS2000.
    Jon - KB0MNM 73

3. N9TSL

N9TSL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine just did the same thing but only on 15-6 meters (same preamp is used for those bands). I first noticed it on 6. From what I've read it's a common problem and not hard to fix for those with knowledge of repairs. Looking for someone to repair mine too. I'll be watching this thread so please let me know how yours turns out Jon.

73, Tracy N9tsl

4. KC9OO

Jon - Thanks. How do I get in touch with Gary?

5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably can get his contact via a QRZ lookup on his callsign.

6. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

GARY W GRIVNA
    6028 CANDLEWOOD DR
    BROOKLYN PARK, MN 55443
    USA

Email: k0gx@comcast.net or consider directory assistance- (maybe 612-555-1212 for Minneapolis, Mn. area- Brooklyn Park is a suburb) company Electronix Servicing

7. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want some checks to run to try and figure out where the problem let me know. Usually a Preamp device.

8. KC9OO

Thanks for the help but I've solved the problem -- I returned the radio to the fella who loaned it to me. He says he's aware of the problem. Since it's his radio I thought it best for him to come up with a solution. Mine was to buy an Icom IC-7300 today. Special discount through the end of the month.