Kenwood TS130

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N9ZDZ, Nov 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I traded for this radio and it came in today the RX is good but when I key it up it . It has a carrier on ssb wheres a good place to start looking ? I have turned the carrier down with the knob all the way but still have it .

2. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you get full cw power out into a dummy? You will need to maintain 13.8 while testing.

3. N9ZDZ

yes but only on 80 meters when I test the other bands the output drops to almost nothing on 10 meters thinking I might just sell it and let someone else take a crack at it

4. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't sound good......seems like a Kenwood mechanic is needed.

5. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Assuming there are no other problems, that could be a Carrier Suppression adjustment issue, Step 25, page 38, in the TS-130 service manual's
    alignment section, step 25. Be sure to read step 25 BEFORE you attempt the Carrier Suppression adjustment.

If you don't have the TS-130 service manual, you can download it from my website. Click the following link to download the service manual.

https://w5rkl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TS-130_Service_manual.pdf

Mike W5RKL
    https://www.w5rkl.com
    Heathkit@Groups.io Moderator

6. N9ZDZ

Well I ended up selling it

7. KK6VQK

KK6VQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh so I bought it! Here's what i found:

* the carrier suppression needed adjusting - VR5 on the AF-GEN board was way off and there was too much carrier in the mix and not enough signal.
    * ALC needed adjusting - it was trying to put out 150W! Oops.
    * L1 on the RF board was black. super black. It's a dead short of charcoal, making the radio pretty deaf. S9 signals showed up as S0-1. I replaced L1/L2 and checked the rest of the receive path into the BPF - all checked out fine.

Now it's working great! Thanks! It's as sensitive as any other kenwood in my collection and it puts out 100w/80w as appropriate. I've even had a QSO on 75m a couple days ago and was complimented on it.

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. N9ZDZ

Good job

9. KK6VQK

KK6VQK Ham Member QRZ Page

THanks! I've been looking for a TS-120 or TS-130 to pair with a TS-660 to complete that era HF/6m setup. The TS-660 is a QRP 15-12-10-6 radio so it's only going to be doing 10W on those bands, but it's enough when E is open!

10. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TS-130V to pair with my TS-660. That combo is a lot of fun.

N9ZDZ and KK6VQK like this.