kenwood ts-870 w2ihy settings

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by M0ABG, Jul 12, 2018 at 5:44 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. M0ABG

M0ABG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good morning all fellow hams,i could do with some help on setting up the eqplus and the 8 band aduio equalizer and noise gate.
    I have emailed julius and he has told me some base settings,which i have tried and the audio reports have been very good, i am using audio technica pro 31 vocal mic which works very well with the ts-870.
    If any one has any settings for rag-chew and dx for the w2ihy please let me know
    best regards
    andy powell
    m0abg

2. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

It's all going to depend on the combination of the radio, the mic, the room you're in and your voice to determine the best settings. You may just have to fiddle with it, and have someone whose station and ears you trust. And remember, if you ask five people, you'll get eight opinions.

And I also wouldn't worry about ragchew versus dx settings. Get something that works with your particular situation, and ride it. If you're already getting good reports, I'd say you're nearly there. The enemy of good is better.

One thing I will tell you, that eq has a TON of gain/cut in each band. As in ±16db. That's a lot of gain, and you can very easily massacre the mic input to the radio. So little changes are your friend. Generally, you'd prefer cuts to boost if you can help it. Keep tabs on your ALC while you're doing the adjustments.

And I'm generally not a fan of the noise gate because it's pretty severe, but if you're inclined to run VOX, especially with a headset, it can be your friend.

3. W9RAC

W9RAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Firstly and most importantly be certain to set up you mic gain pot and output on the bottom of the unit correctly, if those are not correct nothing else in the audio chain will be. Start with it, then do not use the noise gate if possible, it will draw attention to background noise when it goes quite. Then set up your mic gain properly on rig, now EQ, 8 band settings, start here, 1 to 8, lowest freq is first here......... 1 +14 2. +8 3. +4 4. 0 5. 0 6. +4 7. +12 8+14 Start there, see what happens. Try to make adjustments at first with 3,4,5 slides by going DOWN. Trying to set up your own audio will prove to be less that effective by listening to the monitor feature. If possible, have a buddy help you on air, you will need a good signal for him to listen to. You will soon find that everyone you ask will have a different opinion, so you will always be adjusting it. Don't ask. If someone volunteers a compliment about you audio, listen. Your always going to have the hard core complaining your to bassy, to wide, to this, too that, so just go with the flow and enjoy your compliments...which is how you will know you have done a good job with your EQ. RAC