Kenwood TS-850S display will not read below S5 on the meter scale

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W4AJF, Sep 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4AJF

W4AJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all, I have a TS-850S that I can not get the S meter to read below S5 and after much exploring I found that the problem is the display, here is a picture of it OFF and out of the radio, you can see the bars are at S5, can anyone tell me how I can fix it?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Adam Farber W4AJF
    Cooper City, FL

Attached Files:

2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

There are bugs that get under the bark of trees - and there are a couple spots that almost look like something got under the glass and made tracks , does it look like that in person ?

Kenwood is one of many products that were affected by counterfeit electrolytic capacitors and they had a shorter life than the real ones , and there a few on the display board that are typically replaced .
    But you need to determine if the symptom is created on the board , or off the board ?

But you should look at replacing most or all of the electrolytics for long life , you may find the issue goes away ?
    Kinda like a car comes into the garage and the customer says it does not run good , look under the hood and see that it hasn't had a tune-up in a long time - lack of maintenance / what I try to get the customer to agree to is let me do the maintenance 1st , then see if there is still issue ;)

There are a bunch of sites on 850 repair , this is one that leads to a bunch of them .
    https://www.kkn.net/n6tr/850repair.html

3. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If the rig works fine otherwise, put some tape over it.

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KD0RCB

KD0RCB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TS450 s radio, and my display appeared to have various "turned on segments " in the frequency digits, etc, even when radio was fully off. I also changed the caps on the display bd, - they still tested good, but it didnt fix the problem. My actual display tube WAS the fault after I fully removed it from the board ,- many pins on that display!!- and the digits still looked turned on while sitting on the bench..... Finally I ordered a used display bd itself from ebay-- but now the digit issue was fixed, but now the inner HV lamp in the used display was very dim and black on ea end, so I removed and converted the backlite to LEDs. There is a post here on QRZ with before and after pics....So in my case the actual glass display was the fault....good luck, Randy

5. W4AJF

Hi all, the LCD (glass is bad) I need to find another LCD for the TS-850. Thanks, Adam W4AJF

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure , but think these are un-ubtainium , so searching ebay is the next best thing .
    If nobody here has a doner .

7. W4AJF

Agreed, thanks, Adam

8. KD0RCB

KD0RCB Ham Member QRZ Page

And as luck would have it =
    eBay item number: