Kenwood TS-830S problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KF7AYS, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF7AYS

KF7AYS Ham Member QRZ Page

Problem Solved!

Well folks,

I just got my TS 830s back from the local ham who works on them and all I can say is wow. I really like this radio. In the week or so that I have had it back, I have talked all over the USA on 20m on just the radio and a 20m dipole about 35' off the ground. No amplifier. None needed.

Thanks to Joe(N7VZS) for getting the repairs started with me and also thanks to Kevin(N7ZS) for finishing it up and making it great again.

The main problem turned out to be a bad board in the radio.

With regards,
    Ron

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron -

IF Kevin, N7ZS swapped the boards to get your TS-830S working -- DO NOT THROW OUT BAD BOARD -- send that PC board to Ken, K4EAA for his Kenwood parts collection.
    He can perform component level troubleshooting and repair -- and make that board available as a part for other TS-830S owners requiring repairs in future.
    Treat the legacy equipment like classic automobiles -- and they will be around for generations -- throw all the parts in the land fill -- and you will only have new radios to buy -- surface mount components in future!!

w9gb

3. KF7AYS

KF7AYS Ham Member QRZ Page

The board itself was bad. I believe Kevin is keeping it around to rob components off of should the need arise. As I said earlier, he works on these pretty regularly. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.