ad: hrd-2

Kenwood TS-830S problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KF7AYS, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4AUD

N4AUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, it'll transmit in CW WITHOUT a key attached when you flip "send". In sideband, if you have a microphone plugged in you'll be able to talk just like pushing a PTT, but without one attached you'll be transmitting but no audio.

I do it all the time with my TS-520. There's no key connected to it, but I can xmit in CW mode into a dummy load just by flipping the send switch.

The send switch works for ALL modes, at least on my 520. The 830 could be different, but I doubt it. I don't think it does work in CW with a key plugged in, though.

Try it.

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

TS-830S

I have a TS-820S. You should have a Table 3 or similar that's titled, "Summary of Transmitter Tuning Procedures" which list the MODE setting, the Standby Switch Setting, and the Procedure.

Adjust the bias current using the Ip setting for a bias of 60 mA, on either USB or LSB, and peak the drive for max ALC reading for say 7.150 Mhz.

The only time you will get a carrier is when the Mode Switch is in the CW position and you flip the SEND switch upwards to Send, OR if you have a key plugged into it (and keyed-down) and the SEND switch is up and the MODE switch is set to CW.

On my rig the screen voltage (if you think this may be a problem) is found on a brown wire coming from the capacitor (left side rear) to the Rectifier Unit card and then on to the MODE switch and then to the SG switch. From the SG switch the Screen Voltage goes to the Final Unit PCB on a red wire. The only time full screen voltage is apllied to the finals is when the MODE switch is in the USB, LSB, CW, or FSK positions.

Phl - AC0OB

3. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do everyday when I load up my 830, I have a 520 as well, tho I don't use it much these days.

When (any) sideband rig is keyed without any accompanying audio, there is no output, if there is, the transmitter is out of adjustment. This is why some folks whistle into their rigs during tuneup.

Flipping the send switch while in any mode besides tune, simply flips the tr relays and sets up the rig to send... but produces no output till the key is pressed. In the tune position, it sends a carrier at reduced power and is why this position is recommended for alc and dip chores.

This is one way of sending CW without using the vox to trigger the tr relays, the vox is used for semi qsk on these rigs. I do this when I need to send really slow, (for a slow speed club CW net)... keeps the relay chatter down :)

73 m/4

4. KF7AYS

KF7AYS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, finally an update:

The tech that is helping me on this radio says that he finally got the radio to transmit. However, it is only putting out about one watt. Tubes all check out fine and the finals have been neutralized.

Anyone see this before? Soft/dead caps maybe???

Thanks for all your help on this.

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

So, you are telling us that ALL the voltage readings are correct??
    (see earlier posts to you [or your tech] -- on how to properly troubleshoot).

What is your High Voltage (HV) reading?

Did you change-out for a GOOD 12BY7A driver tube?
    A tube checker will likely not tell you the full story with a 12BY7A.
    A NOS tube should cost you around $12

w9gb

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  6. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Still not the answer we are looking for though

When you follow the proper tuneup procedure as described in the manual what happens when the..

1) mode switch is set to tune, meter on ALC and you flip the send switch? can you peak?

2) provided you could tune for maximum ALC, the what happens when you have the meter set to IP and you go through the dip process?

3) If you got that far, can you tune for maximum RF?, mode swtich to CW, press the key (and I don't mean the mic PTT button), can you peak for maximum power out?

Where in the tuneup process does it fail?

73 m/4

7. KF7AYS

KF7AYS Ham Member QRZ Page

Both the driver tube and the finals are good. As in NOS. I have several of each and same result with all.

I have not personally looked at the radio in a couple of weeks having left it in the care of the tech who has run through the service manual completely and has tuned the radio several times.

He is thinking that a recap is probably in order. I am just curious if there is anything else to try before going to that level.

8. W5LDA

W5LDA Ham Member QRZ Page

A mic is not even needed for this. Please sit back down and Shush!

9. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

WHAT!?

Change the Caps?

Ok, Turn the METER switch to HV

Put the MODE switch on either USB or LSB

Flip the SEND switch

Look at the RED line on the meter and read what it says

Mine goes to 9 Which means that's 900 volts

What does yours say?

(Oh, PS. If yours say around the same thing, there's nothing wrong with the caps)

OH!!! I forgot. (always forgetting somethin)

You CAN'T nutralize the tubes until you get around full out power. At least with this other radio I have to have decent power output in order to do it anyway. I think this Kenwood is the same thing.

If that tec friend or yours nutralized that with only getting out 1 watt, then I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what he's doing either.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  10. WM5Q

WM5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Just thought of another possibility. I know my 520S has a transverter in/out switch by the XV control jack that allows the screen voltage and rx antenna tto be routed through the XVs; when a XV is active it switches off the screen voltage (putting the HF PA in cutoff) and isolates the HF RX antenna.

Not sure if the 830S has that or not.

If the XV enable switch is turned on but there's no XV plugged into the XV control jack, you won't have screen voltage or receiver antenna.

There are millions of other things to check before the condensers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.