Kenwood TS-830S problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KF7AYS, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF7AYS

KF7AYS Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings all,

I have a Kenwood TS-830s that I have been working on getting back online. Some Idiot at some point did a couple of senseless mods to the radio, but following the schematic, I managed to undo all the junk that person did.

I have the recieve working fine. However, when I go to transmit, I get nothing. The tubes are lit up and yes, I have followed the tuning proceadure to the letter. The voltage at the top of the finals is about 950v or so.

I am about to tear into the finals cage and replace all the components in there but am curious if someone else has another idea to try first.

With regards,
    Ron - KF7AYS

2. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that switch in the back switched to the right position? It's right under the fan. I think it's called SGC.

And I assume you checked the driver tube

3. W0UZR

Wait a Minute! If you followed the tuning proceedures, then you have power output.

!!!!!!!!

4. KF7AYS

Nope, nothing coming out. I did find a relatively loose wire on the board that the finals are on. I soldered it and Will try firing it up tomorrow.

5. W0UZR

So when you tuned it up, no ALC reading? No power output?

Ok, if that switch in the back is in the right position, then that 12YB driver isn't working or you got it fixed with the wire that came loose

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

My suggestion would be to actually troubleshoot the rig, and find out what is wrong instead of blindly changing components.

Rege

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have another radio?
    Use it to listen to see if there is anything coming out of the low level stages.

Also the above question regarding an ALC indication during the first steps of the tune-up procedure would be helpful to know.

8. KF7AYS

I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is the driver tube. The 12by7a tube. It lights up but that doesn't mean that it is any good. I have gone over the whole rig at this point and have not found any more obvious things that were bad or modded.

So, I will replace the tube and try it again.

Cheers,

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rather than replacing stuff, I'd do a de-bug sequence (like following a flow chart) to pinpoint the area containing the problem.

When you key the rig to TX, do you get "idling current" indicated on the plate current meter?

If so, how much does it indicate?

If not, the problem is not the 12BY7A driver tube.

WB2WIK/6

10. KF7AYS

What do you mean by the plate current meter???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.