Kenwood TS-711a--Won't power on

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by AF2T, Sep 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF2T

AF2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently received a TS-711a that won't power on. The previous owner hadn't used it for 6 or 7 years. He said that it worked fine when he put it away. He plugged it in and it stayed on for a few minutes and then just quit--no smoke, no pops, no smell. If I can figure out what is wrong, I'd like to try to fix it myself. That being said, I have no illusions regarding my lack of talent where electrical repair is concerned.

Where and what would you suggest I start?

Thank you.

2. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all I would try a full CPU reset, this costs nothing. With power off completely, hold A=B button while applying power, i.e switch supply ON then press power button before releasing A=B button, may or may not do the trick.

Grab a service manual in pdf format from here, thanks to qrzcq.com, then you'll need a multi meter, start checking for voltages from the power input and regulator board (abbreviated AVR)

User manual from here should you need one.

Dave

3. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure the power switch is working correctly. Except for voltage to the final unit it all goes thru the switch.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that a fix all ?

It sure gets recommended a lot on QRZ.

Even if it cures a problem the original problem needs to be fixed. o_O

5. AF2T

AF2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, to a good first step anyway. Unfortunately, it didn't work in my situation.

Thanks for the suggestions. I got the operators and service manuals for the radio and am trying to make heads or tails of it.

6. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this is an Old Thread but I wonder if you ever solved the power issue? I am picking a TS-711A up Tomorrow with the same issue so maybe you have the fix I need as well.Thanks much & God Bless.

Clayton
    W4KVW

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

HOW are you Powering this Kenwood TS-711A VHF Transceiver ?
    EA382D90-11D3-4A2D-AF41-3BF4B9BE389A.jpeg
    The Kenwood TS-711A can be powered by AC Power (internal Supply) OR
    an External 13.8 DC power source capable of at least 20 amp (transmitting).
    Desktop computers, since the Apple
    DC Power Supply and DC-DC converters (inside radio) are subject to limited life-time due to component selection (quality), heat, and finite lifetime of electrolytic capacitors.

==
    PAGE 10, Kenwood TS-711A User Manual
    https://www.qrzcq.com/pub/RADIO_MANUALS/KENWOOD/KENWOOD--TS-711-User-Manual.pdf
    NOTE: When Operating by AC Line Source, be sure the Dummy Plug (8) is connected to its Jack (Receptacle, to Left on AC Input on Rear Panel), otherwise the transceiver does not Turn On !
    21AD59F5-6262-483C-8561-F3EC61777511.jpeg
    Inside View of the Kenwood TS-711A 2-meter (VHF) All-Mode Transceiver (circa 1980s)
    NOTE : Internal Power Supply (transformer and rectifier/electrolytic capacitors) on LEFT.
    14B878E9-19D7-4DEC-BB3D-472EBD2B8244.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021