Kenwood TS-590SG terrible drift

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M3AIN, Oct 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M3AIN

M3AIN QRZ Member

Yesterday, I had some time available for a change - so turned my new TS-590SG on for a bit of listening.

I got listening to a QSO on 10M (28.450.00) USB and after about 30 minutes, I noticed that all drifted high by about 50Hz to 28.450.05

Although the conversations were audible, I had to use the RIT function to bring them on frequency.

I haven't encountered this type of frequency drift on any Yaesu or the Icom 7300 I own.

Is this drifting normal behaviour for the TS-590SG?

Although I quite like this 590SG, Im struggling to establish just why so many people rate them very highly.

2. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

50 Hz difference is not terrible. It meets the specifications which can found in the users manual. To eliminate it, you can install a TCXO as described in the manual.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

N0TZU and M3AIN like this.
  3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Its "normal" for a '590 that doesn't have the optional SO-3 high stability (TCXO) oscillator option.
    Any drift will be more noticeable on the higher bands but you should use the main tuning, not the RIT to correct for this.

Have a read here then decide if the cost is worth the improvement.
    The much cheaper Ebay TCXO's are very high in phase noise so not recommended.

Frank

M3AIN and PU2OZT like this.
  4. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not correcting for the drift with the big wheel, you'll go aground, for sure :eek:

Oliver

M3AIN likes this.
  5. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was unaware the 590sg drifted that much.
    I was looking at one comparing to the 7300. Glad I didn't pull the trigger if it really drifts 50 hz. wow.
    Back in 2017 when I bought the 7300, I believe the 590sg was about the same money.

Perhaps annoying on ssb but may be a real problem if you go digital at 50mhz meteor scatter or even FT8.

M3AIN likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this an initial warmup drift or ongoing?
    My old IC-745 will drift about 100 Hz after turn-on but after about 30 minutes it remains fairly stable +/- 5 hz.

7. M3AIN

M3AIN QRZ Member

This is an initial warm up drift, and happens within about 30 min's. After this initial drift, the rig stays stable.

In the room where I operate, it's nice & cool at around 16/17oC - so if it was warmer to start with, this drift might not be so severe.

Anyway, I've decided to buy the SO-3 TCXO, and while I was at it I've also bought myself a VGS-1 module.

Here in the UK, I don't know of a similar frequency to the WWV 10Mhz reference, so I'm not sure how I'm going to calibrate the TCXO yet.

8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The WSJT program for FT8 can be used to calibrate rigs if you can receive a suitable frequency standard.

The SG version was available in 2014, several years before the popular digital mode FT8 became available.
    JT65 was too slow for many hams.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    M3AIN likes this.
  9. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

It should not be necessary to calibrate because it is already supplied correctly adjusted.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

M3AIN likes this.
  10. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

50Hz on 10M is negligible IMHO. I have a good ear but would have a tough time hearing that difference.

PU2OZT, N0TZU and M3AIN like this.