KENWOOD TS-590SG OWNERS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE3PP, Nov 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

No argument over the technology - but you're at a completely different price point with the latest high-end SDR transceivers. The OP is looking closer to $1,500, where there are some quite fine offerings from several manufacturers. I have the Kenwood TS-590 SG and find its performance to be as advertised and perfect for my applications, but agree that receive audio may not suit everyone.

Mike

2. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no brick wall on Flex radio. As with all DSP radios the processing power/sampling rate of DSP engine determines how effective filtering is. DSP is yet to fully mature like analog rigs have so each new generation is better than last. When 590 series is replaced it will be based on a new design and parts and will do better than 590. With Flex, given colorful history of 5000 series it had to improve to stay viable.

3. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

No SDR radio or IF DSP radio can handle bad SSB TX signals your filters can be un-endly sharp and steep, the splatter still will be there because the Station making the bad SSB sig is making power and signals in your filter and your radio even any radio will have to recieve these signals otherwise it would not be able to recieve the wanted signals.

Often the bad TX signals in SSB are a greater problem as the reciever recieving the signals.
    Read all posts of Zenki whom is constantly hammering on better TX quality, he sometimes is a pain in the butt , but he has a very important point to make.

The quality of some recievers at this moment Like a K3 or even a Flex or other good reciever is so good that the limmiting factor is not the reciever anymore but the transmitter quality wich is lacking behind a lot at reciever quality.

The TS590SG is one of those good recievers, it has a few minor problems yet that could be better, but the RX capacity of a TS590SG is very good , certainly if you take the very modest price of this rig in evaluation.

Certainly if you take the price of the PC needed for your flex in the numbers a TS590SG is a bargain, and remember i am one of the very few hams whom doesn't have a PC in the shack at all, i run everything just from the TS590S and its homebrew components at the TS590S like noise canceler. RX/TX antenna switch, all antennas, antenna tuner, even my paddles are homebrew.

And though the TS590SG hasn't got a very good SSB TX it is one of the cleanest 13.8V tx-es around.
    One of the advantages of the very agressive ALC attack in the TS590S and SG is that with normal handling and mike inputs these rigs will not splatter very easely like a as example a IC7410 or FT920 or FT857/897 will do if you do not keep within ALC range these rigs will spatter big time.

73 Jos

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  4. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I have the 590s and for the money, isn't that much different then the K3 I had for 3 times the price...I think I will be keeping my 590 for some time to come...

5. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The effect is the same as brick wall filtering due to the fact it has the ability to sample large chunks of RF all in one lump and just select the bit you want to be thrown out of the speaker and because it samples large chunks you don't get the same issues you do with conventional radios.

I guess you've never owned a 6000 series....

6. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

No I have not but I got a chance to play with one and I was not impressed. It is a matter of user preference too. I see little need for a radio that needs a computer to operate. I have talked to many Flex owners in past on the air that suddenly disappeared due to computer issues. I think the biggest flaw or weakest link in Flex design is the need for a external computer. User PC's vary widely in specs and that makes it difficult to write software to works correctly on all units. Flex should of built a PC main board into unit that does processing. It could of been controlled by a remote desktop. It would add maybe 2 to 300 to price of unit but they could of had a better platform to write software for because every unit has same hardware processing signals and have better RFI hardening by default too.

7. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Picked up a FTDX-1200 and I am happy with it. Comparing it side by side against my FT-950 I have noticed some improvement on receive.
    On transmit I was told today by a friend who has heard my audio numerous times on my FT-950 that he had never heard me sound as good as I did today on the FTDX-1200.

Some more tweaking on some menus and I think this will be a great radio to operate.

8. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

Most important in any rig is:

That you are happy with it in using it.

I had lots of fun with my FT920 and had enough fun with the FT450.

Just wasnt realy happy from the start with the TS590S, but all these things are not so important.
    Still have loads of fun building antennas and experimenting.

And also have a realy beat up Ft857D and dtill have fun with the little thing, not to be compared with the TS590S it is in a totally different price range and can do VHF and UHF, its my little shack in a box for on the move, portable and hollidays.

73 Jos

9. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have its little brother (570dg) and like it just fine, especially after seeing this vid;

10. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok after nearly a month of operating with my new FTDX-1200 I will say I am very pleased with the performance of the radio when comparing it side by side with my FT-950.

Quieter on receive, and the RF filters actually work on the 1200 when comparing it to the FT-950.

The scope comes in very handy when searching for signals on the bands.

TX audio is as good as the 950, I was not expecting it to be greater as both radios have the same EQ parameters as far as I can see.

Although I do not operate CW I did some tests in that mode and the narrow filter which goes down to 50 hz is far superior to the 100 hz filter on the 950. No ringing.

Noise blanker is very effective. Normally I do not have any electrical noise here but lately some defective street lights as causing havoc. (Waiting for them to be repaired and hopefully that is the noise source) and the NB does a much better job than the ones in the FT-950.

So all in all I am happy I bought the FTDX-1200. I'll be honest, when I purchased it I did not compare it to the TS-590 so I don't know what the performance difference would be between the two radios.

I had my mind set on the 1200 when I went to the dealer.

Now I wait for the rebate from Yaesu.