KENWOOD TS-590SG OWNERS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE3PP, Nov 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not hard to beat a TS2000. I lot of even older rigs beat it. The 2000 lacks a lot on HF. I was going to buy one about 6 years, a black special edition, until I got some hands on time with one and was very disappointed. I bought a 480 instead. I have both 500hz and 1.9khz optional filters in it and it holds its own and 590 offers little over it real world. I have had the chance to play with a FT 1200 several months ago and I was impressed with it. I did not get a chance to put it side by side with a 590 like I have with several other rigs but it warrants another serious look over a 590 and I am a Kenwood guy too.

2. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ve3FMC

Do not fall for the bells and the whistles, but rely on your ears.
    If you realy want to make big steps invest time in knowledge and better antennas, that will help much more.
    while spending less.

If you want another rig test it along side your FT950 before making any choises you might regret later.

73 Jos

3. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

I have just upgraded from a TS-590-S to the 590-SG. My 590-S was in the B45 production series and had no issues at all. Reportedly, factory mods to address the ALC and some other minor issues were made from models with serial numbers from B41 on. My use has been mostly CW and FSK, but the SSB performance is fine when properly adjusted. The SSB audio in factory default may not suit everyone, but is easily adjusted.

I find no easily noted differences in receiver performance between the 590-S and 590-SG.

I don't regard the CW received audio as bad at all in either radio. I'm not sure if PA1Zp has a bad unit or this is a personal preference. I suggest that you check one out yourself.

Quite a few hams have taken the upgrade path to the SG, putting quite a few S models on the market (about 20 sold on eBay alone in the past few weeks). Average price of the used 590-S is around $900, which is probably just about the best bang for your buck in terms of performance. It'll cost you about another $500 to get the 590-SG and unless you really want the extra features, it probably isn't worth the extra.

Mike

4. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That will be impossible to do Jos as the dealer will not have a FT-950 to test against the FTDX-1200. I doubt if they are going to let me bring my FT-950 and set it up!

I am limited to what I can do with my antennas, I have to live with what I have now.

From what I have read on the EHam reviews from guys who have owned the FT-950 and bought the FTDX-1200 they have all stated there was a big upgrade in receive quality. If you own a FT-950 you will know that the roofing filters are basically useless (I hear no major difference when changing filter widths, compared to my TS-850 where these is a noticeable difference) Those who have owned both say that the roofing filters in the FTDX-1200 are far better.

I have watched numerous videos on Your Tube on the FTDX-1200 and all have said great things about the radio.

I have a buyer for my Kenwood, and he told me he bought a used FTDX-1200 then sold it and wished he had not sold it!

Time will tell, it's only money and you can't take it with you when you die ;)

5. PA1ZP

Hi VE3FMC

Remember please the FTDX1200 could have roofing filters , but due to the high first MF they will not be of much use.
    I didn't hear much yet about the FTDX1200 as that it is a FT950 chassis and tuner and RF amplifier.
    It has a similar layout as the FT950 and will not have much better performances as these performances are limmited by the design of the first MF .

That said, I had loads of fun with the FT920 , and that had similar RX performances as the FT950 but a lot better audio in RX and a wonderfull TX in SSB.
    In daily use it beat the TS590S big time in SSB performance.

Numbers are not that important as some people believe they do.
    The Kenwood TS590S have wonderfull laboratory numbers that are destroyd by its bad points it has, these are not tested or not well tested in the lab tests.

And yes it is only money and your last trousers will not have pockets for it.

73 Jos

6. K6FNI

K6FNI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently purchased a TS-850SAT with INRAD CW filters and I love it.

I can see where I might purchase a Kenwood TS-590SG at some point, but I really wonder if it will perform any better than the TS-850SAT.

Robert, K6FNI

7. PA1ZP

Hi Robert

Yes, in very crowded contests a TS590S or Sg will outperform a TS850 in CW , but only just.
    you might find the audio better , but the audio in the TS590S in CW is not my cup of tea.

Though I find the audio in the TS590S in CW much better as the TS850S I did like the audio in the FT920 and FT1000MP in CW a lot and a lot better, not so digital and much more naturally sounding and no ringing with the audio DSP.

The filters are sharp and both of the SG and S can handle a lot of signal very close to your frequency without blocking or AGC pumping.

For the rest Robert a smart operator on a TS850 with good knowledge and antennas will always outperform his colege with the hyper rig and less knowledge and operating practice.

73 Jos

8. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

You can find a number of YouTube videos where comparisons are made between various rigs. I remember one comparing the TS-590S against the TS-950SDX and I have to say the latter sounded much richer. I believe that there were also comparisons between Icom and Yaesu by the same individual - try a Google search!

It may be an artifact of the digital processing of the newer rigs that makes them sound less natural than the last generation of analog radios.

Mike

9. PA1ZP

Hi Mike

Yes it is a side effect of the IF DSp wich you can not turn of like audio DSP and go on with the rig as it was a conventional filtered rig.
    That is why I still prefer audio DSp if it ..... up just turn it off and go on.

If i have a silent band with just QRM the TS590 sounds completely digital in noise, very strange and it sounds very unnatural to your ears.
    SSB it sounds very good in SSB RX when signal around, with only a bit nervous AGC that doesn't handle any spikes or clicks very well what is a known problem with IF DSP based rigs.

In CW it doesn't sound good on my ears, it is very hard to describe but it makes me tired very fast, just call it audio fatigue like Robert Sherwood.

Combined with the worthless DSP NR in CW Rx and the very bad ALC in SSB TX its not my best rig ihave had.
    Would go back to the FT920 or FT1000MP in a blink if they would still build it.
    Those rigs were the best ever tried on my ears, no great lab numbers but great RX audio, and good SSB performance.
    And a super SSB TX in both.

Is the tS590S or SG a lemon, no much bigger lemons around and every rig has its own specific problems and bad sides, you just have to live with them.
    The shame with these Kenwoods is that they get reviews like they were the next marvel of Jesus.
    In my other rigs some of the bad sides were there , but they were never that annoying that you want to get rid of it, the Kenwood has a few that makes you want to dump it.

Even my old beat up FT857d has many bad sides, but none of them that bad that you want to dump it.
    This rig was bought with the idea that for that price and size it can not be a good or great rig, so expectations do not run high at all.
    With the buying of the TS590S , I knew it had power spikes and a few minor problems comming with that.
    Did not expect it to be at "QRP" levels in SSB and the reviews in CW RX were a dream, I found the FT857D sounding better in CW RX with the cheap audio DSP.

73 Jos

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  10. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is why I now own a Flex 6500. SDR is the only way you can get a real noticeable difference on SSB due to brick wall filtering. Nothing else comes close.