Kenwood TS-590s

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K7CJ, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI0Z

KI0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Tap the key button . the speed is shown on the window . the MULTI -KNOB light is on use it to adjust your speed . go do your thing or tap the key to remove from the screen. gl...

2. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No speed knob? Every outboard keyer has one!

3. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone care to mention the birdie on 1827.5Khz kinda put me off because I use that frequency and thereabouts, is this an issue?

Wonder how the rig compares to the Icom 9410, think my bet is to hang on a while before dashing out?

Dave

4. KI0Z

KI0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes i see a birdie about that freq. while on a dummy load no S-Meter reading with or with out Preamp. however with an antenna connected the nois was S-2 I could NOT hear it with preamp on or off. this is a NON ISSUE to me. this rcvr has so much gain with out an antenna on with a Diawa 2 position switch in gnd position it can bairly hear signals . the port to port isolation is over 60 db.... Not a problem to me . Now if it was detectable i would wounder .. 73 Dave..

5. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

KI0Z, thanks for the info your description is most assuring the birdie is of no significance.

73's Dave

6. KI0Z

KI0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

one addition

I wanted to say I was on the 160 Meter SSB contest still learning how to run the new rig (Marvelous). I heard a weak SSB signal abt S2-3 but it was just mumbeling . I was not able to get anything of what was being said !!! This rcvr has many tools . The RCVE Equalizer in menu 31 or 32 . one for xmit and one for rcve . Pushing the menu button turning the Multi-Knob to RX-DSP #?? you can go to 8 preset eq's with out getting ur computer and adjusting the 18 band EQ(Down loaded from Kenwood FREE) and putting it in Position "U" User. Well I put the eq to various settings untill i got to HB2 (High Boost 2) and boom the S2-3 signal now was Q-5 . I could understand every sylable they were saying. this is somthing I have never seen b4 at any price. (HB1 works for CW also). Gl & DX Dave KI0Z..

7. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes my TS-570 would occasionally insert an extra DIT. The DSP seemed wonderful and would pull a CW signal right out of the noise. But it was too easily crunched during 160 meter CW contesting so I sold it.

8. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes no CW speed knob and this is why the TS-590 does not qualify as a serious rig. Spend a few hundred bucks more for a K3. It has a better receiver and a dedicated CW speed know. A 'K3 killer' it is not.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like a CW speed knob on the front panel, also. Modern Ten Tecs all have one. Even my little Jupiter has one, and the LCD display shows keyer speed (rounded off to 1 wpm increments), so you don't need to be sending to know how much you cranked it up or down.

10. M0JMO

M0JMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not really sure the lack of dedicated keyer speed knob is such a huge problem... You press one button and the multi-knob becomes your keyer speed knob. Simple.

Oh, and I don't hear the top-band birdie either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.