Kenwood TS-590s

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K7CJ, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W3DP

W3DP Ham Member QRZ Page

TS-590S Opinion

A reply to W7DSS: I just got the new TS-590S a week ago from HRO $1795.95 shipped. It's replacing my TS-570D. They look similar in looks and are the same size. After a week of CW and some SSB I am very impressed and happy with this rig. I have not found one complaint so far. The receiver is sensitive and quiet with outstanding filtering and noise control with versitile NB, NR and beat cancel buttons. The tuner is quiet about 3 or 4 times faster than the 570. The QSK is as good as Ten Tec, no noise and smooth T/R. Bandswitching is fast with band buttons. Each one holds 3 frequencies in each band which is convenient. It has 87 menu settings, but I left most in default except for about 7. These I put in Quick Memory for fast access. Once set up, you don't have to go into the menu during operation. Each front panel button has a touch to operate or hold to adjust setting for that button. The screen options are amber or green. I use green as it's easy on the eyes and easier to read. On CW you have rise time settings of 1,2,4 and 6ms. You can switch between 2 DSP IF filters with the touch of button. You can adjust wide or sharp in each on CW or SSB. Sideband audio reports have been outstanding. I can only say it's an easy to use super rig for the money and I am anxiously awaiting the QST review and Sherwood Engineering report/comparison chart. 73, Dick W3DP

2. IK0OZD

IK0OZD Ham Member QRZ Page

all are ok
    the radio work veryyyyyy well
    i have in the shack also a k3 and ft5000k
    the sound of the 590 in all test is much better respect ft5k
    save your money the ts590 is avery super rx
    the sensibility is very big
    i 'am 100% satisfied
    no any defect
    Tony
    ik0ozd
    this is my two test of the 590 .
    considerate che per me YJ0 รจ il luogo piu distante dall'italia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI8T-K64LAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8sljY6L7Q

3. DC1YB

DC1YB Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KI0Z

KI0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

The little Radio that could .......

Yes , I have run my first TS-590 In the 160 Meter CQ WW CW contest with the IC-7800 there was NO time either Had any problems no matter how weak, or close in very signals like +20 over from spain or V5 at +10 . I think of it as a 7800 in a small box minus the scope and secound rcvr. Excellent. This is the BEST test I can give it . some state side signals were + 40 over or more. I LOVE this little radio. so very easy to learn and use . W8JI said it best when you get around +80 db or more you really aren't going to see much . I have never had a problem with both of them. It is so good with every thing audio included and the equalizers on xmit and RCVE I traded both TS-870's and got a secound TS-590... BRAVO !! Toshio Torii JA6QXW Kenwood Senior Engineer For a Brilliant Design..well DONE...Dave KI0Z..

5. IK2GNW

IK2GNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  6. IK2GNW

IK2GNW Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like a very nice rig but I cannot consider it a serious rig. It has no CW speed knob.

8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, take a look at the Sherwood Dynamic Range Narrow Spaced data. It's not the "K3 killer" Kenwood said it was. With these numbers and no CW speed knob it's no match for the K3.

10. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Understand there was a full review in Radcom (RSGB mag) around January.

I'm kinda keen on it too, was thinking of the TS2000 but dropped that idea, my other ideas was to wait and see when the TS3000 turns up around 2011/12

I understand there's a fair amount of white noise on the TS2000, kinda noted that when I repaired some awhile back, but I wasn't interested then and didn't take much note, the noise did seem to stand out though... guess they are going grey now n' growing whiskers.

I just love the audio CW filter on the TS930 and got to like it, guess we don't need em' in the TS590.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.