ad: ARR

Kenwood TS-590s

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K7CJ, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7CJ

K7CJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious if anyone has or is going to be buying the Kenwood TS-590s? If so, can you please post a short review of this radio. I'm just curious how it performs.

Thanks
    -Nick, w7dss

2. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Nick,
    Since the rig isn't out as of today, 9/22, take some time and join the Yahoo group dedicated to the Kenwood TS-590. There is lots of information and discussion available.
    Rob WA9UAA

3. N5VEG

N5VEG Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to be testing one of the first ones out for myself at our ARC clubhouse tonight. I will write my experiences post haste.:D

4. KE5KDT

KE5KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Got one yesterday the 6th, less than 24 hours ago, so certainly no depth here. There is a good initial review by another ham on eham.net that is more technical with a side-by-side with a K-3 for a guy doing a lot of CW.
    I was quite surprised by the small size and light weight and the use of a four pin power plug like the TS-480.
    I noted the frequently used knobs are close together and somewhat small. I put O'rings on all the knobs to make them easier to grasp.
    I've been experimenting with all the filters and noise reduction/notch features. Seems pretty impressive. Just listened to a qso that was only .5 off of another one and there was plenty of overlap. The 590 seemed to do a good job of isolating the one I wanted to hear. I've got a TS-870 and TS-480 also, to compare against.
    The button features like NR, NB, Notch, and many others, don't require you to go to a general menu. You just push the button to activate or push longer to get to the setting. Once in the setting/level mode, the "multi" knob has a light come on next to it so you know what to knob to grab to set the level. Pretty slick.
    I'm glad it has an RF gain knob. I sure miss that on my TS-480.
    The tuner is quick and easily tuned my single frequency 17 meter yagi to 15 and 20 meters. My TS-870 would balk at that.
    Got good reports on my first qso as I turned the processor on and off and made other output adjustments.
    Looking forward to more "new radio" adventures today. Wish I could share some technical info but that will have to come from others.
    Bob KE5KDT

5. N5VEG

N5VEG Ham Member QRZ Page

This evening one of our members brought his brand new 590S to our W5GAD clubhouse for a shakedown cruise. It is very much like a TS570 as far as the front end goes. It has a few more function buttons that are clearly marked. As mentioned earlier, the knobs are rather small but not hard to use. The metering and display is much like the 570 model. On the air, it tuned fine and gave excellent receive audio. A few signal reports commented on the very loud audio. We were running barefoot to a 3 element beam. The radio is very light weight for it's size. The DSP function is one of the best I have heard. It really WORKS! Overall it looks like a very good radio with lots of features.
    [​IMG]

6. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a couple reviews on youtube. One by Gordon West. They say that the radio is somewhat heavier than the 570 but are about the same size. From what I heard of the radio in these reviews, the notch filters work pretty well. Gordo got good reviews on his audio using Heil's headset.

I'd like to get one, but I think I'm gonna wait and see what (if any) problems crop up with the radio before I do anything.

7. KE7VZW

KE7VZW Ham Member QRZ Page

the reviews are stacking up on eham. The initial reviews are glowing

8. KC9SYJ

KC9SYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple ham radio friends have the 570 model and the 590 looks very much like their 570s. I wonder if Kenwood modeled the 590 after the 570,...sure looks like they have. I'm a Yaesu guy myself,but the 590 looks pretty nice!

9. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see how the TS-590s could be modeled after the TS-570. Maybe with a few leftover covers or something. I had a TS 570 and got rid of it. The keyer had an 'extra' dit' problem, and the AGC pumped like crazy. Sorry, I just couldn't get into it. I went through a series of new and used Icoms and Ten Tec gear. I now have a TS-480HX and am looking forward to the TS-590s
    Rob WA9UAA

10. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it just looks like the 570, but isn't modeled after it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.