Kenwood TS-590S Display is Blurry. Any Fix?

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N4DKR, Jan 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. N4DKR

N4DKR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had my TS-590S for a few years now and I really enjoy it except for the display. It has always been kind of blurry and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that was something normal Kenwood did to help with glare or something like that. Just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to remove the "frosty" look of the lens or any other ideas? I just want a clear lens so my eyes will quit straining to focus on the numbers. Thanks.

N4DKR

2. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about your case but nicotine stains from smoke causes that usually. Have to take it apart and clean it.

G4COE likes this.
  3. N4DKR

I don't smoke so it's not that. Thanks for the reply though. :)

4. NU4Y

NU4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever remove the shipping protector cover ? I have seen radios that are 15 years old that
    still have the film on top of the display, makes them look frosty.
    GL

KJ4VTH likes this.
  5. N4DKR

Yes, I removed it when i took it out of the box. Thanks for the reply. :)

6. N4DKR

It's definitely something Kenwood did at the factory. If I place my finger on the screen the reflection of my finger is even blurry. Would that mean it's frosted on the outside? Could it be polished/rubbed off?

7. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Never heard of this before.
    If the back light is turned on to reasonable brightness, there should be no blur to the extent your indicating.
    Good luck.

8. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Dust build up behind the glass.....!

The display runs warm and is very dry thus attracting fine dust due to static build up.... use to happen a lot with the ol' VHS video recorders..... even those oldies with LED displays as well as the modern LCD types.

If this is the case, the only cure is a 'strip down', a nice soft clean lint free cloth and warm soapy water, just a tiny blob of washing up liquid and then dry with a dry lint free cloth.

Clean the glass and the display itself, do not use anything abrasive or you'll certainly have a blurred display.

Dave

9. KE0DM

KE0DM Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you change the front glass? Dennis

10. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't need to change the front glass, you gotta strip down to it, clean the display as well. Do not use anything abrasive!!!!! A soft damp cloth with a little speckle of washing up liquid or better still a speckle of Isopronanol rubbing alcohol.

See service manual

Dave