Kenwood ts 530s output issues

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KM4YTW, Feb 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM4YTW

KM4YTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a kenwood ts530s off ebay. It was missing the PA tubes . I replaced them with a matched set. The cathode resistors were burnt to crisp. Replaced them . Removed all the mods the previous owner made. 40 meter had no display, i removed the rf board and removed the wafer switches and cleaned them plus ohmed them out. That fixed the display problem. I replaced the caps in the final section that usally go bad. I also found the section of switches in the final section were out of alignment with the rest of the switches in the rf section. I moved them to where i think its correct but only have good output on 1.8, 3.5 and 10 . Very little on 7. Before i did this i had no output on any bands .

My question is , am i overlooking something and how can i make sure the switches in the pa section are alinged correctly. Hopefully someone has some insight on this. Oh i also did a alignment on the radio.
    Thanks alot.

2. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just had to align the bandswitch on my 830 by trial and error, transmitting for only a very short period at a time.
    It is possible to have good output on some of the bands and it still be mis-aligned.
    Hopefully someone has a better suggestion!

3. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Put the Bandswitch on the 10 Mhz position. The flats on the shaft should be vertical. Looking from the front of the radio the final unit shaft should have one flat to the bottom and the other to the right side.

4. KM4YTW

Thanks clif for the super easy answer there. Im gonna put that in my notes. That final compartment is so crowded i cant even see the contact on the wafer switch. Thank you

5. KM4YTW

Ok, i got it aligned, tuned up all except 28.5 band, i can get no output on that one. I have done the warc mod. Im thinking its one of the wafer switchs in the final section. Does anyone know what section contains the 28.5 band.
    Thanks