Kenwood TS 520 - what kind of Mic?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KC9KXW, Mar 17, 2019 at 4:11 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9KXW

KC9KXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently purchased a TS 520 and want to know what kind of mic to use with it. I'm going to get a desk mic, and I want to steer away from amplified mics because I don't want to overdrive the radio and have it overmodulated and sound like crap.

Any ideas on a good non-amplified desk mic to use on this application?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A MC-50 is a good choice.

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KC9KXW

Thanks guys for the quick response and info.

73 de Jim
    KC9KXW

5. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

The MC-50 is the best choice for a desk mic. If you can't find one, try the MC-35 hand mic. However, avoid the MC-30. The 520 needs a high impedance mic. The MC-50 and MC-35 are okay. The MC-30 is a low-Z mic. No good for the 520.

6. KA9JLM

The price for that one is good right now. I would rather Buy it now, Instead of waiting till the last second to click and win the bid.

Reserve not met is very disappointing after waiting 2-3 days.

That one does look good. I am sure it will sell for a bit higher.

7. KC9KXW

I was just looking at that mic in the link, but I didn't see a "buy it now" price or option.

8. KA9JLM

There is none. You have to place your bid. In at least 1 dollar increments. :(

It is still at 49 USD plus $15 shipping.

9. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The MC-50 is certainly a nice mic to go along with the Kenwood hybrids. But other good choices are the Shure 444 and 450 series mics (which I personally like better for general purpose ragchewing than the MC-50 on my Kenwoods) and the Astatic D104 which I like better for DX and weak signal use as it punches the midtones and highs a bit more than the bass tones.

I prefer to swap out the bipolar buffer/gain amp in the base of D104 mics for a single stage FET source follower that provides impedance buffering to the crystal mic element but doesn't provide voltage gain. That's an easy mod to homebrew or some folks sell drop in FET buffer boards for this purpose. Here's a good discussion of why the newer (i.e. circa 1970s and newer) D104s included transistor buffering amps and how to homebrew a good FET buffer for this mic: https://www.qsl.net/hcara/Improving_the_D-104_N9WB_rev2.pdf

10. KA9JLM

I agree the 444 is a good mic.

But finding one that does not have a broke PTT bar can be hard.

Buying broken and fixing can save you big bucks. :)